January 18, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

January 18, 2009

Post by millipede » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Are you undernourished?

Matthew 4:1-4
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:1-4
1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Much of the things taught in the bible are written in parables and stories. It's almost as if the book was written just for me. I really like to have things taught in a way I can understand. Just plain facts are sometimes boring and hard to understand.
When I read God's word, I love seeing the analogies... I love comparing things in such a way. Same with how I like to relate to other people. Any time I want to convey a message to someone else, I like to illustrate it with other things, quite often from my own life.

Anyway, all three of these passages mention bread. It isn't really hard to tell that bread, actual bread, is not an important part of the message. It is easy to see that there is more. And I think for most of us it is easy to see that the basic message is that we need to read God's word. I'd like to examine it a little more though and not just keep it that simple. We all know we need God's word. But, why? And... how many of us really digest God's word as much as we should? Ponder on that a bit...

When it comes to real food, most of us know that we need a diet with variety. We can't live on any one single food. Using the verses mentioned in the bible, we'll focus on bread. If we were to eat nothing but bread day in and day out, we would definitely suffer some serious health issues. Our bodies need more than that just to survive. And I want to take it a little further and use an example of an athlete, a runner for instance. They are usually more careful and serious about what they eat. They really focus on eating lots of good things that will help them perform better. They have a physical goal ahead of them, a challenge, and they NEED proper nutrition to face those challenges. Correct?
Well, in these verses, I can't say with certainty what you should look at as bread. I mean, it could be any part of our lives, our religion, or even just different parts of the Bible. In fact, many churches out there only preach some parts of the bible. They focus on just the positive happy messages about salvation, and nothing more.
While such a message is important, we cannot grow and maybe not even survive very well if that is all we feed on as Christians.
Hey, we have challenges ahead of us. We may be in some right now. We are in a race right NOW. We need proper nutrition to make it through, never mind actually win the race. So, I'm going to ask you a question. Are you undernourished? Are you eating a healthy diet consisting of ALL God's word has to offer you?
How could we possibly need God's word? Every bit of it? really?
Well, Jesus himself was face to face with satan. We've been tempted, but likely not as direct as that. And just how did Jesus stand firm against temptation? He quoted scripture.
How many of life's challenges and temptations do you think you can face without scripture? I promise you it wouldn't be many.
Earlier I mentioned athlete's and their diet. Let's look at another part of how an athlete faces a challenge... Training... They need to exercise and train both physically and mentally.
Let's use one sport as an example. Let's say football. How well do you think you would perform in a professional football game if you didn't know any of the rules? Not well I'm sure. How much better would you perform if you were just taught the basics, even if you were taught the basics week after week and year after year? Honestly, it wouldn't be as good as necessary to really compete. The professionals you see on television train day in and day out. They train physically and mentally. They do drills over and over and over again. They never stop training, even when they're awesome at what they do. I could go on and on here but I think you can see where I'm going with this. Let me use a nice verse to sum that up...

2 Timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

ALL scripture... not just some of it. It ALL comes from God and... yes, and... look at the end of that verse. Scripture is profitable, meaning you very much benefit from it. God's written word... it is vital to our daily lives.

I want to briefly discuss why I wrote on this subject today. I write this today because of the people and churches that I've seen that only focus on what they want to focus on. I've been to churches where they go on and on about the same things week after week. The message they are sharing might be quite the inspirational message, but we need so much more than that.
I've also met people that are far more interested in what they call worship. What they're interested in is the feeling they get from music, which is only one part of worship. True worship happens even when there is no music to be heard. But I've met individuals that would much rather hear an uplifting song than listen to someone teach them.
One example is with the local christian radio station here. Years ago they had different talk programs for and hour or two each morning and each evening. I met people that were upset with that. They didn't like the radio station because all they wanted was the music. I'll be honest, I usually turn the radio on to hear music. But when those talk programs came on, I just could not change the station because I knew that they probably had a message I could benefit from. Hey, that last verse I mentioned actually tells me that. Over time more and more people complained I guess because they took the talk out of the morning time slots and you can only hear those programs at night now. That kind of saddened me a bit.

Anyway... we need God's word and we need it far more often than we take it in. I think many Christians today are very much undernourished. Is life tough for you? Are you in despair often? Struggles? Things not making sense to you? Just like when it comes to physical health and how if you don't take care of yourself you will end up unhealthy and ailing... I promise you, if you're not getting enough of God's word in your diet you will not be as healthy as you need to be to face all you have to face. If you want a healthy spiritual life then you need a healthy diet consisting of God's word... every bit of it.

I hope that all made sense. :D

Father, once again I come to you and thank you for your written word. The words you have given us give us wisdom and guidance and help us to face our daily struggles. I pray that you will keep reminding me to spend time with you in your word. I ask that you would use your word to guide me and use me to guide others. Thank you again for this precious gift...
Amen.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:"
- Job 12:7