The POWERFUL Christian

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

The POWERFUL Christian

Post by millipede » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 am

I see people on the internet and even in person claiming all sorts of POWER in Jesus.
Sometimes this goes on in such a way that I often wonder how much of this is bragging on Jesus and how much of it is them bragging on themselves.
POWER POWER POWER.... I think some Christians are literally on a power trip. And that's not Godly or biblical.

When I find someone literally bragging about being a powerful Christian while swearing I really have to wonder where their power is coming from. When someone Brags about the devil not having anything on them... you might want to think about that just a bit. The devil enjoys you bragging and enjoys you cursing.
Is it possible to go around bragging that you're POWERFUL and somehow YOU overcome the devil?

What does scripture say? Without Christ, my friends, I can do nothing... I am nothing. Part of Christianity is TRUSTING and RELYING on Christ. When we go around bragging about our power, I think we're missing something.
Do you look at other people lustfully? Do you mock other people? Do you judge/condemn others? Do you tease other people? Are you boastful and a braggart? I could make a LONG list of sins that the bible speaks out against and I don't know anyone that doesn't fall short of God's glory in these things. How then shall we boast about our own might?

James 4:16
But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

Jeremiah 9:23
Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:

And there are more passages on boasting... --->Here's a few...

And about words...

Ephesians 5:4-5
4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

People can interpret that how they want I guess? But, these people have no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God? Think about the severity of that for a moment.

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

EVERY word... Is that not a scary thought? The bible also says that the FEAR of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Today's Christian looks at Christ as a buddy that has our back and doesn't care about ANYTHING we do... That's another subject all together...
But... This is just SOME of the shortcomings that people have, including people that I see boasting day and night about how POWERFUL they are. Are they really? And are we supposed to brag on ourselves?
The bible says NO. These are not my words...

There's a song that goes "humble thyself in the sight of the Lord.... and He... shall lift... you up..."
The bible CONDEMNS boasting and arrogance and praises humility. EVERY time someone came face to face with an angel of the Lord, they fell on their faces in fear and reverence. How is it that today many Christians go around pretending they're literally knights in shining armor slaying every dragon that comes their way?
You may be stronger in spirit than I or those around you... perhaps... but you, yes you can still do NOTHING without Christ. If you're going to boast my friends, boast in the Lord. What a witness it is for God to use the weak... Look what He did with Moses... and many other prominent characters in the bible. None of those men could boast in their own strength(except samson maybe? and look where that got him)
If you knew the struggles I had today, just considering that I'm still alive you'd be in awe... not of me but of God.
Those who rest on their own power will fall by it.

This power trip is often something of a religious denomination. Many people throughout history have taken something as short as a single verse and created an entire church out of it. The snake handling church for instance. How is that not boasting? Does the bible not say that we should not tempt God?
I attended a church one time and perhaps it's not fair to judge a church based on one service... but...
The preacher(s) marched left and right and all over... shouting POWER POWER POWER... they knocked people over in the spirit... someone began laughing hysterically... someone spoke in "tongues"(no translation, of course) one man YELLED at the youth in their seats telling them they could LITERALLY walk on water... POWER POWER POWER POWER POWER POWER................................

Not once in this church service was scripture quoted, nor was the bible opened at all. Who was this church serving that morning? God? Or themselves?

What a MIGHTY God we serve... we SERVE. We are like filthy rags compared to His glory... and yet, many today still go on boasting about how POWERFUL they are. Walking around with their chests puffed up(figuratively, and literally) Where does that lead?
Nothing in the bible demands us to be strong enough to bench press 350 pounds(literally, or figuratively)
We're supposed to FEAR God, we're supposed to be humble... we're supposed to be servants.

Battles come and go... and, am I to persevere? Sure. But is it I that wins these battles? Is it of my own strength, might, and power? Or is it God that is in me?

And if I am to boast in the power of the Lord within me... am I to do so in a way that mocks others? Am I to do so with arrogance and pride? I am NOTHING without God. Does that make me better than other people when I'm with Him? Not at all.

Some people have this idea that when we get to heaven God's going to say "well done my good and faithful servant..."
A few things to consider. There's nothing in the bible that suggests that is what we're all going to hear. That's not what it said. In fact, books(plural) will be opened and we're going to be JUDGED on everything we've ever said or done. We should live in fear of that day.
But also... it doesn't say well done my good and faithful tough guy(or, a more vulgar version) It says servant. Jesus Himself had to wash His disciples feet.
in Philippians it says that our attitudes should be like Jesus'. He considered Himself a servant. He humbled Himself all the way down to death.
Of all people, Jesus had the POWER to lay nations to waste. His own disciples thought that's why He was there... to be seated on His thrown OVER ALL the earth. He had that power but that was not why He was here. And that's not why any of us are here today... to exercise our POWER...

what power do you and I have? We have the power to overcome adversity... THROUGH Christ, we can lean on Him(yes, lean on as we CANNOT do it on our own) in times of trouble. When someone is hurting, sick, dying, we can lean on God to help us through those times. That is not our own might. It's His.
And power over sin...... I have friends that consider themselves warriors battling demons. The only demons any of us have to fight are our inner demons. Pride being one of them. Jesus died to free us from sin. So, we now have power over sin, in Jesus' name. Jesus showed us how to defeat temptation... some of my power hungry friends don't ever talk about temptation or even sin. Are they without sin? None of us are. In fact, as I've described, pride itself is a sin.

I could go on.
The bible is a tricky book. It's LONG and it's filled with a LOT of useful information to guide us through life.
SO many people today like to find one or two bible verses they like and build their entire faith on it. Power is just one of the ways in which people wrongfully follow God's word. Love is another one. Love is great is it not? God is love, etc etc... but when people take that ONE part of the bible and then overlook EVERYTHING else in it, they're going to fail. You create a lot of "believers" that don't consider right and wrong. Sin is no longer discussed in many churches.
My friends, there shouldn't be ANY churches out there that focus on one SMALL portion of scripture. God didn't give us a two page list of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. Your faith, your identity in Christ should not be ALL about one thing or another. It should be all about Jesus.
Jesus told Peter to put away the sword... Peter was ready to fight. We need to be prepared to fight, but again our battle is with spirits. These spirits attack us. We are to fight them but, what is our weapon? Scripture... truth... How did Jesus face the tempter in the wilderness? Scripture. That's our "power."
We shouldn't(literally or figuratively) be going around, ripping our shirts off saying "look at my muscles..."
Are these people boasting in Christ? or are they just boasting? Where did humility go?

My friends, I pray today that our hearts would be open to God's truth... ALL of His truth. I pray that Christians would see beyond denominational teachings and consider ALL of God's word. I pray that we'd all find our strength in Him and Him alone. I pray that our hearts would be softened and that being a part of the family of God would not go to our heads. I pray that we would learn from Jesus' examples of humility and servanthood. I pray that Your people, oh God, would fall on their faces before you and humble themselves. I pray that the words I share today will reach those that need it. I pray that your own word, God, would cut through the armor and pierce the hearts to teach and rebuke those that need that today. I pray that we would all be open to God's instruction for our lives and I pray that we would continue to strive, day and night, to be holy as you are holy.
Amen.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:"
- Job 12:7