Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

March 22, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

March 22, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 pm

John 3:16-21
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 3:16 is by far the most well known verse in the bible. It is also the verse most used in witnessing. It's a powerful verse. It speaks much about God's love for us. What an amazing verse...
I'm going to dare to say that that verse and the one that follows can sometimes be misused and abused. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world......
Unfortunately, many Christians today use verses like that to go about life feeling no guilt and no shame. Many Christians these days choose for themselves what is sin and what isn't. Too many Christians preach absolutely nothing besides forgiveness...
You see, people do not like feeling judged. They don't like the way guilt feels. So, society has made it nice and easy to teach us that, what's wrong for some might not be wrong for others. And that, we can do whatever we want... whatever makes us happy right?
There's a lot of danger in such thinking.
It's interesting that just a few verses later it says that anyone that doeth evil, hates the light.
This next passage is a favorite of mine...

John 8:1-11
1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Go and sin no more.................. This is the guy that came to save us. He didn't come to condemn us right? Correct... He didn't. He told that lady right there... But after that... right after he told her He did not condemn her... did He tell her to go on living however she wanted? Did he tell her that what she was doing was ok? Not hardly. He told her to sin no more. Think about that one a while...

1 John 3:9
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Now this passage here can be taken many ways... Some use it to say that true Christians NEVER EVER sin. Hey, I'm a man... I am going to fail... there's no doubt about that.

There's many, many verses in the bible that discuss sin. Through the Holy Spirit we have been given the power to overcome sin. We are able to stand up to sin. God's word alone is enough to stand against sin. Jesus used the bible to resist the devils temptation. We are given so many tools to resist sin.

I've written about this sort of thing a little before... but it was on my heart today...
I'd like for people to take a little time and read through those verses a bit... and perhaps do some of their own reading on sin. Satan is out to get us. He wants to destroy us and those around us. He is able to destroy others through us even. So, we need to be ready for that spiritual warfare. We need to be aware that it is real... that sin is real and that God wants us to overcome it. We need to be careful not to let satan trick us into believing that we can do whatever we want with no consequences. Sin is sin... And sin is something that can take control of our lives. Sin can destroy us in so many ways. Sin can be fun sometimes... but don't let that happy go lucky feeling make you feel safe. Living in sin is like walking on REALLY thin ice. Sooner or later something will give and you will find yourself drowning.
Call out to God and repent... turn from your wicked ways... that reminds me...
2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

That's another favorite verse of mine. We all have trials in our lives. The world is a crummy place. Is it all just completely random? I'm not going to say that God punishes us for things. But, there are indeed consequences for sin. My parents got divorced... nothing they ever wanted to happen. Nobody ever plans for those things. But, like so many other divorces, it had consequences... not just for them, but their kids.
I'm not going to say that every bad thing that happens in your life is a consequence of someone's sin... but, I do encourage you to examine your life and see if there might be something you need to repent of. By repenting, turning to God and away from you wicked ways... God will hear you, and forgive you...

Well, I could go on... but I wont. :-)

Father God, I thank you so much for that wonderful gift you gave, your Son. Jesus, I thank you for sacrificing yourself so that your blood would cover my every sin and wash me white as snow. I thank you God for your word and for the Holy spirit. I thank you for all you have given us to allow us to overcome sin. Dear Lord, I pray for your forgiveness. I come before you now turning away from my sinful nature. I want to take on a more Godly and Holy nature. Thank you for offering me freedom from sin. Give me the strength and wisdom to fight the battle that is ahead of me.
Amen

lyndseym79
Hi, I'm new

Re: March 22, 2009

Postby lyndseym79 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Millipede,
I know that I seem new, but I've been kind of a lurker for a long time. I mainly just check in every week for your weekly studies. I think they give me my weekly shot of spiritual inspiration. :mrgreen: They are usually very well thought out and I rather enjoy them. That said, I have to disagree with you on this week's study. (Which sounds to me like you are speaking about generational sin) I do believe that in today's society there are for too many divorces, but I do not believe divorce is the sin. The sin is the marriage itself..... or sometimes the events leading up to the marriage. For instance: A couple gets married. OK not so bad. Now lets say that this couple lived in sin and got pregnant and felt they had to marry. They were doing what they thought was right at the time, taking responsibility for their actions. Does this mean that they are now condemned to live a loveless or abusive marriage till death do they part? I think the real sin would be a mother who stays with an abusive husband and teaches her children that that kind of life is OK. In my case, my parents divorced when I was 10. It wasn't a mutual decision - my father left my mom for someone else. He didn't love my mother anymore. Nothing she did, he was just too immature when they married. I learned from this experience. I learned what I wanted (and didn't want) in my husband. I was not "doomed" to repeat my parents life. I believe it's all choice. This week's study concerns me because it sounds like you are worried that your parents divorce will cause you to follow suit. If you truly believe that....than you should never have married - because, deep down, you never really believed it would work out. And that Millipede, is the real sin. YOU can choose to be a great and loving husband. Don't blame your short commings as a man/husband on your parents. Sorry to sound so crude, I just belive people today need to start taking responsibility for their actions. It frustrates me, too many people try to blame their actions on anything else but themselves. All these people pop up saying "my medical condition made me do it!" "I had a bad childhood!" Waaa waa waa.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion,
Lyndsey

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 pm

First I'd like to say welcome to the site. Glad you're here.

The next thing I want to say is that the topic is not about generational sin. I only briefly mentioned that towards the end. The topic itself is simply about sin and the consequences of it. And the consequences are real.

That said, generational sin does indeed exist. Some people take that the wrong way, at least from me it seems. I am not stating that someone can blame their parents or anyone else for the choices they make and what happens to them. However, biblically and scientifically it has been proven that sins are quite often passed down. All sorts of things are passed down both good and bad. People that live really good lives, good jobs, behaviors, relationships, etc... tend to have children with those same characteristics. And people who grow up in a more messed up house, let's say drugs and/or alcohol is there, and violence, etc... maybe a parent ends up in jail. People raised in such surroundings tend to end up living similar lives. This is proven to be true. It's been studied by people that don't use the bible... and, the bible itself does touch on it a bit.
Part of Exodus 37:4
"visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."

We like to think that God doesn't punish people. There are consequences to our actions. Whether or not the consequences come directly from God, there are some very strong consequences.
Perhaps it is easy for you to look down on those that choose to blame their childhood or whatever else because you've been lucky enough not to be effected by your parents divorce in such a way. The truth is, there are consequences to every decision we make.
My dad's parents got divorced... my dad is going through his 4th, my mom has been divorced twice. I have two older brothers who's first marriages lasted a year at most. I have an older sister that is divorced. My marriage is struggling right now. And there are many other issues that my family faces that all do indeed have to do with how things went when we were younger. Children need a stable home and they need to parents there. It is proven that they need these things. Those that grow up without tend to have more issues in life.
This is all proven fact.

Now, don't take me wrong please. We are indeed all responsible for our own actions and decisions.
And, I do not nor will I ever claim that someone is "doomed" to repeat the mistakes their parents made. All I'm saying is that what you do and don't do now WILL affect what your kids will go through later on in life.
I mean, if you took a single parent that smoked pot all day and shoplifted all the time, with the children present... most of the time you see a situation like this, the children end up living very similar lives.
They do indeed have choices, but those choices are a lot more difficult for them then they'd be for someone that was raised better.
Don't blame your short commings as a man/husband on your parents

I'm trying really hard to not get defensive about that one. I take things personally sometimes...
I am indeed responsible for my decisions and how I live. But the things I struggle with in life are very real... they're not things I chose to struggle with. and I can promise you that at least some of my struggles are indeed a direct result of my parents divorce. If they had not gotten divorced... if I grew up in a different home, I would have turned out a bit different. Who knows like what, but it would have been different.

I hope I'm making sense. What I'm trying to say in short... generational sin is indeed very real.... but you are right that we are responsible for ourselves. But saying that we are responsible for ourselves, and knowing that, it doesn't take away from the reality of the consequences of sin.
Again, the study this week was supposed to be just about that, sin... and nothing more. But this is an interesting topic as well. It's really interesting because that wasn't even on my mind when I wrote this.

Katie_oneil
germinating

Postby Katie_oneil » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 am

lyndsey
Well said
I believe the devil gets more credit for sin that he commits. Too many people do not take ownership of their own misdeeds. And as long as the devil gets the blame their concsience is clear.( the devil made me do it!)
Generational sin is not so strong that a relationship with Christ can't overcome it.
so don't blame your parents for your shortcomings blame yourself for not doing the right thing to change it.
were your parents alcoholics? then make the choice to NOT drink.
did your parents abuse or neglect you? choose to not abuse or neglect.
Was your parent(s) lazy and not work to support their family? Then break the cycle and WORK. there are either choices or excuses to be made.
Sorry. Kind of got carried away.

timothy78
germinating

Postby timothy78 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm

sorry I am new hear. can I still comment on older posts like this one? :? it took me a few days to log on . it kept telling me I needed to register, Even though millipede approved me. I was not sure what to do! so I waited a few days tried tonite, and I got in. I always worked a lot of hours. so do not now much about computers.so thought maybe I was doing it wrong, but I guess this sight was just slower to put my name in.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”