Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

December 28, 2008

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

December 28, 2008

Postby millipede » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:58 pm

New Years Resolutions?

John 4:35
35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

James 4:13-14
13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:
14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

I personally have never really understood New Year's celebrations. I mean, the first of the year is no different than the day before it, or the day after it. A day is a day. Yet year after year many people around the world resolve to make drastic changes in their lives for the new year. Why? I imagine a part of it is simply tradition. But, I do believe that people deep down really do want to change and be better people. It could be something like losing weight, quitting smoking, being nicer, and any number of changes.
Let me ask you one question... Why wait for the new year to make such a resolution?
How many people have you known have made resolutions for new years? How many resolutions have you made over the years? Now... how many have you followed through with? If you're like most people, chances are you haven't followed through or stuck with many of them.
Want to know why? Because we put things off. I promise you, if you can't step up and decide to make changes in your life TODAY, chances are you're not going to stick with the changes you are "planning" on making...

Now, check out the verses above. Those verses are not my opinion on the matter. They are straight out of God's written word. You already know what I think about making resolutions... let's look at why I personally believe the bible might not say they're such a good idea.
The first passage from John exclaims that the harvest is already ripe for the picking. And you want to sit there and wait until a specific time to do something that you can and should be doing now. Let's just use something like quitting smoking for this passage. Why wait until New Years day to stop? You can and SHOULD stop NOW. Every moment is a moment you cannot take back. Take THIS moment to make such a change in your life. It could be like that verse mentions... a harvest... Do you know someone that is lost and needs to be witnessed to? Why wait? The harvest is ready...

What does James say about resolutions? Okay, while resolutions aren't what they had in mind specifically... I think you understand the point I'm making with it. Plain and simple, we do not have any clue what tomorrow holds. So, with resolutions... why wait? Again, we'll use a lost friend as an example... I lived next door to an old man for many years when I was younger... Back then I never would have considered witnessing to him... Years later, I'm in another state and I find out he has passed away. From what I knew of him, he wasn't a believer. And, I felt bad.
How many of you have close friends or family that do not believe? Or even just a friend in need? And have you ever considered reaching out to them or witnessing to them? Ever stop and say, I'll do that some day? James warns us here that we should not wait for we do not know what tomorrow will bring. we don't know where they will be and we do not know where we will be...

Anyway... as you make plans for this new year's celebrations and plan your resolutions... I urge you to really think about these passages and these thoughts. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that new years resolutions are a totally bad idea... if you want to exercise more and want to wait until next year, while I don't think those kinds of resolutions work anyway, that's your prerogative...
But with more serious matters......... please stop and ask yourself...
Why wait?

Dear Lord, I just thank you for TODAY. Today is a day that you have made. I pray that we will take advantage and seize the day today and not wait until tomorrow. Help us to focus on what is important in life and not forget it. Help us remember that we do not know what the future holds. Thank you for holding that future in your hands and I pray that we will continually trust in that.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”