Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

September 07, 2008

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

September 07, 2008

Postby millipede » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Psalm 51:1-19
1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

I'm not sure if any of you have heard it, but there is a song taken from a few of those verses. It is as follows:
"Create in my a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right spirit within me (repeat)
Cast me not away from your presence oh Lord. Take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and renew a right spirit within me."
Some years ago I was leading worship for a small college age Sunday school class and this one other guy was helping me out. He would not play that song because he said God would NEVER take his Spirit from us. He just didn't like that song.
I went home that day thinking about it and I read up on it.
That song was written after David was confronted about committing adultery. I personally think it is a great song, and as a side note it is the first song I ever played on guitar.
But, the point of the song isn't that we have to worry about losing God's Spirit, or our salvation. The point is how David felt. He was repentant.

Today, we live in a time where MANY Christians and Churches teach forgiveness and love, and nothing more. Too many people are focused on the idea that no matter what they do God loves them, Jesus still died for them, and they still have their place in Heaven. Too many people either think there is no consequences for sin, or just don't want to think about them. But, there is indeed a penalty for sin.
Amongst many verses discussing sin, the following is a favorite of mine.

Exodus 34:5-7
5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

This was spoken to Moses when he went up to receive the ten commandments, for the second time.
God does forgive iniquity and transgression, and sin...
But look at the next part... And that will by no means clear the guilty...
We are guilty. We are sinners. And even with God's forgiveness, we are still sinners...
The last part of the verse is something more people need to understand if they don't already.
visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
Our own sin carries a penalty... not only to us, but to our children's, children's, children.
The simplest and most extreme examples I can give of this would be to just think about a few families. Picture one family that prays together every day... Decent people that spend as much time as they can serving the Lord. They don't take part in worldly things. They follow the laws given in the Bible, and they love the Lord, and their neighbors... Just picture the nicest family you can imagine...

Now, picture the opposite... picture a family that smokes, drinks, swears, is violent towards one another. I'm sure that isn't hard to imagine in this world...

Now picture how each families kids would likely turn out. It is quite easy to see how your great grandchildren could pay for your sins if you lived such a life.

Now I believe most of you reading this are not like that sinful family... but believe me, we all sin. The damage that sin causes is real and something we all need to take seriously. Even though I consider myself a decent person, I am far from perfect. And my shortcomings will likely be passed on to my children. So it is my job to correct the sin in my life. I can't go around thinking All is good because Jesus died for me, the end. But many people, too many people, these days sure act that way.

King David realized what he did was wrong. And he felt HORRIBLE for it... as should we each and every time we fall. We need to repent. We need to feel guilty as guilty we are... We NEED to cry out to Jesus... but the good news is, HE WILL hear us.
we can indeed take joy in our salvation, that Jesus died for us and he is preparing a place for us as we speak... But we cannot ever forget why He died

verses 16 and 17, David mentions that God doesn't delight in the burnt offerings... What he wants from all of us is a broken spirit...
So call out, cry out, to Jesus. He is waiting for you.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”