Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

July 6, 2008

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

July 6, 2008

Postby millipede » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:38 pm

I'd like to write about something today that I think not too many people are taking seriously these days. Well, that could mean a lot of things couldn't it. You see, far too many Christians these days don't take enough of the Bible seriously. Far too much is looked at as no big deal. And far too many issues are being ignored, played off as "well, the bible didn't really mean....."

Anyway, today's topic is swearing. This is one of those issues. I know far too many Christians that swear ALL the time. And many of them think it is no big deal. I've heard many arguments on the issue. One friend thinks swearing shouldn't really be an issue since all of the words we use as swears mean something else all together that isn't offensive at all. Just the same, please read the following passages with an open mind and an open heart. Read them, pray and meditate on it. (I have a lot to say on the subject, I do hope you'll read through ALL of the verses and my thoughts afterward)

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

-- This will be one of the main ideas today. What is corrupt communication? As I mentioned, I've heard a lot of arguments about swearing. People might say "well, this word REALLY means this..." Others will say that it has no mention of certain words in the Bible. Let me explain how I look at it. I do in fact agree that it is quite silly the words that have become swear words. Nobody uses them in context anymore. Just the same, when YOU are using them you too are not using them in their proper context. You are indeed using them in a more fowl or negative context. That is how people use them and why they are considered swear words. One might argument that saying other words in place of swears is no better. And you know what, you're right. That is true. For when you use another word (a euphemism) you are saying it with the same negative attitude. As much as I'd like to get into euphemisms, I'm going to stay on topic with swears today.
When I was younger I never really considered the phrase "pardon my french". I think most of us have heard this one. In English class in 12th grade we were reading through a play and came across this phrase. The teacher asked if anyone knew what it meant. Nobody answered. I finally spoke up and said that people apologize for use of that language because it might not be familiar to them. Why would it not be familiar to some, the use of such language? Growing up, as a child, did not your parents scold you for using such words? They've been deemed bad, and are therefore bad. How can we take some words we are taught are bad and teach ourselves that it is okay to use them? Especially when we still use them in the negative and derogatory way in which we learned them. Let's read some more verses.

1 Peter 3:10
For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

-- For the most part, when people swear there is an amount of evil in their heart. There's almost always some expressiveness to it. People don't usually use those words in an uplifting manner.

James 3:9-12
9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

-- I don't get how we can do this(myself included). We stand here and praise God with our hearts and our mouths. And then the next moment we're standing there cursing men. How can blessings and cursing come from the same mouth, and the same heart?

Luke 6:45
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

-- What you speak shows just where your heart is.

2 Timothy 2:16
But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness

-- There's a bit of a warning here if you ask me. You may not realize it but using such language the way it is used, it has an effect on your being. It can lead to further anger and bad feelings, amongst other things.

Colossians 3:8
But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

-- Pretty direct here.

1 Corinthians 15:33
Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

-- Just like two passages up from this one.

Ephesians 5:4
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

-- I do my best to stay away from filthiness and foolish talking(I may need to work on the "jesting" part though). We are to lift each other up, not tear each other down.

Titus 2:7
7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

-- I really like verse 8 here. One website I was looking at to find some of these verses, someone mentioned this and how non-Christians look at Christians. You see, even non-Christians know that bad words are bad. It's only the Christians that try to really justify themselves for using such words. But when we do, the non-Christians get a poor glimpse of what Christianity should be. And some would even use stuff like this to point out just how flawed we are. We really need to be a better witness than this.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

-- "let your speech be always with grace"... that's beautiful, and clear isn't it? Think about some of the words we use with one another? We're not always so graceful are we?

James 1:26
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

-- Your tongue is a powerful weapon. If you do not control it and it controls you, you can find yourself in serious trouble.

Matthew 15:11
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

-- Another good one if you ask me.

Matthew 7:17
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

-- This is just like the passage above from James.

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

-- This passage here explains a little more than just fowl language, but the attitude that many have when using such words. Look at the "danger" of calling someone a fool... a fool. WOW. How many times have we used harsher words with someone we know?

I'd like to stress that it is no JUST the words we use that are bad, but our hearts and how we use those words. I'd like to really stress that this does not mean that it is JUST our hearts and how we use the words. Both the words AND the attitudes are impure. Another way to look at it is this... we KNOW for a fact that these words ARE swears. We KNOW that people are offended by them. That alone should be enough for us not to use them. For anything we do that could cause another to stumble, we should not do.

Anyway, I think this is more than long enough already. I pray with ALL my heart that you will read through this and read it again if you have to. Do not just read my words and my opinions but REALLY read through ALL of the verses, study on them, and pray to God for guidance and understanding.
Sin is sin. The bible is fairly clear on most things and I do believe if you study these passages enough you should be able to see how the use of some language can be detrimental to our walk, ourselves, and the people around us. I'd like to close by repeating Ephesians.
Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Pray with me...

Dear Lord I just want to thank your for today and all that you have done for me. You have guided me through so much in this life.
God, I want to take this time to repent for any ill feelings I've had towards another. I want to repent for any words I've used that may have hurt another. I pray that you will give me the wisdom and patience to bridle my tongue that I may not offend another. Let my speech be always glorifying unto you. Let my speech be a witness to the whole world. Let the words of my mouth witness to others in love. Purify my heart almighty God.....
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”