Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

The Lorax

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

The Lorax

Postby millipede » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Okay, I must be bored right... :lol:
Well... I just got a library card today... cost $10 because we're outside of city limits... odd... oh well...
We took out like 5 movies that we can keep for a week and we got one book. The Lorax. It's a Dr. Seuss book.
I just read it to the kids as a bedtime story... it's interesting... I had never read it before.
It's kind of like a tree hugger book or something...
Well... maybe not too extreme... It basically talks about this character who finds some trees in a really nice place... cuts one down to make something. Then he builds a shop and starts cutting down more trees to make more of this product. His business gets bigger and bigger and bigger...
All this time this creature called the Lorax really gets on this guys case about what he's doing. He's trying to speak for the trees since the trees have no tongues to speak for themselves.
As the story progresses the lorax updates the guy on the situation... explains how what he is doing is effecting all the nature around him. In the end, ALL the trees of that kind end up being cut down...
There's a bit more to the story... even though it's all rhymes and fun, silly stuff... there's a bit of truth to it all...
If you've never read it before, you should read it sometime. It's interesting.

dixiechick
germinating

Re: The Lorax

Postby dixiechick » Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Hey, the lorax and the Truffula trees!

It is interesting, but I haven't read it in years. :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu May 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Did you want a thneed? :lol:
I wonder what interesting book(s) we'll take out tomorrow...

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 pm

:lol: I had to read that story at camp last year. I got pretty confuzzled with some of those words...especially when I had to read it with a flashlight. :roll: Oh and I had to read it in a monotone voice so it would put the girls in my cabin to sleep. :lol: I tried but after like 10 stories a few weren't asleep still so I just read it normal. lol

And...$10 for a library card? Sheesh. I don't even live in the cities I have cards and didn't have to pay for them!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Being the nature nut that I am, I thought it was a good story... I wish more people would read it.

Yeah... $10 sounds crazy... but... around here, if you live outside of city limits as I do, you pay less taxes on property. I imagine that is at least part of the reason.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:54 pm

I've never read that story before...it seems like I've heard the title before though
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”