Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

This Chick....?

What pets do you have? Share with us...
blue01
germinating

This Chick....?

Postby blue01 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:28 pm

We had a chick hatch today....and he's a strange color. He's from what I believe to be a Quail Antwerp Belgian D'Anver's egg, but he has the color pattern of a Partridge Cochin or a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. I sold my Mille Fleur's about a month ago.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/ ... GP0757.jpg

There he is. We have the following breeds of chickens:

Silver Laced Cochins -- Hens and roosters
Barred Cochins -- Hens and roosters
Partridge Cochins -- Hens ONLY
Quail Antwerp Belgian D'Anvers -- Hens and roosters
Mille Fleur D'Uccles -- Hen and rooster, both sold a month ago
Buttercups -- Hens
Sultan -- Hen
Black Spanish -- Hen
Buff Brahmas -- Hens
Rhode Island Reds -- Hens and rooster
Sumatras -- Hens and rooster
Buff Brahma X Silver Laced Cochins -- Hens
Sultan X Silver Laced Cochins -- Hens and rooster

Any idea to WHAT he is? As you can tell, he has a "smiley face" and feathered feet....so maybe a Mille Fleur X Quail Antwerp?

C_B
germinating

Re: This Chick....?

Postby C_B » Tue May 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Do you have all your chickens in one pen? That color chick looks familiar and i will try my hardest to find out what breed it is.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue May 06, 2008 7:03 pm

hmm... If you have most of those together I can't imagine it would be easy to figure out who the parents were.
Obviously the hen you sold can't come into play, but the rooster you sold still has a chance of being a parent.
I'm not good at colors and breeds and all that so I can't really help at all...

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Ok i got a question. Are all these in a pen together? Its most definitely not a D'anver. The colors not right at all.. My brother hatches those and they have a black back with a light brown stomach and a rusty red front face. Im still looking...

Just added...
It looks very close to a millie fleur. If you look at the chin it has a small beard. It also looks close to the chicks im finding in pictures.

blue01
germinating

Postby blue01 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes, all oof those breeds, with the exception of the Sumatras and the Quail Antwerp Belgian D'Anvers. We put the trio of d'Anvers in a pen by themselves about a month and a half ago...if I'm not mistaken. We haven't been hatching any of the eggs that we find in the nesting boxes in the big pen because we had an outbreak of a respritory illness and we didn't want any defects in the chicks.

So, that narrows the possibilities of where he came from to a nest that my Silver Laced Cochin hen was on, or the nest with the trio of Quail d'Anvers. Not all of the eggs that the hen was sitting on were hers. Only about 3 out of 15 were large, brown, Cochin's eggs. The rest were white (Sumatra, Buttercup, Spanish, d'Anver, Sultan or Sultan crosses), small brown eggs (Partridge Cochins, Barred Cochins, Buff Brahmas, Brahma Cochin crosses) or large, lighter brown eggs. (Rhode Island Reds) He's definately a bantam chick though. We have standard chicks and bantam chicks under my Silver Laced Cochin hen right now, so it's pretty obvious. Maybe a Partridge d'Uccle mix? I would think the black gene of the Barred Cochin Bantams would overpower the mottled (spotted, whatever) gene of the Mille Fluer...Or maybe a Brahma cross? But he looks nothing like a Brahma chick.....

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Fri May 09, 2008 11:11 am

He looks alot like a Mille Fleur, so maybe the mille roo was the daddy...don't know what the mama would be though.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Pets...”