Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

bee swarm!

Got a great nature photo? Why not share it with us?
dixiechick
germinating

bee swarm!

Postby dixiechick » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Here's a couple pictures of some honeybees that are hanging out on one of the fenceposts along our road. They've been there a couple days - the weather turned chilly and I guess they're waiting for it to warm up before they move on.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: bee swarm!

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:07 pm

That's really cool... I'd love to see something like that.
If they're still there later, and it's cool enough... you should get a nice closeup picture :D
I hope it warms up and they find a nice place to live.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 am

Wow :shock: That is so neat! I wouldn't want to bump into that post! :lol:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 pm

WE had a swarm of bees in our tree in our backyard. WE called a beekeeper to come get them. There were hundreds maybe thousands hanging! Definitely an experience! Kool pictures!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:03 pm

called a beekeeper? Didn't want some bees in the yard? :lol:
When you see a swarm like that, they're traveling. When a hive gets TOO big (which is a good thing considering the problems hives are facing these days) it splits into two. One group stays where they are, the other group leaves to start a new hive somewhere. That's pretty much the only time you'll see them in a swarm like that. Usually, if you see them like that, they'll move on to someplace nice. But sometimes they will setup home real close and it is a good idea to call someone.
I wouldn't mind a hive on my property, as long as it wasn't right next to the house.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue May 06, 2008 6:56 pm

I would have loved to keep them but my dad didnt want them around because killer bees can mix with the honey bees. I saw a program that killer bees will cross to honey bees so thats why they have to keep killing hives because they are killer/honey bees. So it was just a matter of concern and caution. Only later to find out they were just your Itwas so awsome though!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Killer bees are only dangerous near the hive. They can only sting once just like a regular honey bee. The difference between the two... When you go near an africanized(killer) bee hive, they are more sensitive to intruders. They believe honey bees can sense the CO2 that we breath out. Well with the africanized bees, they get bothered more easily than regular honey bees. Then, when they are disturbed they will send out more bees to attack than regular honey bees would have.
And then... With regular honey bees, they will only chase you so far from the hive. With africanized bees they will chase you a bit further. BUT, either kind of honey bee will give up chasing after a certain distance. Their goal is to protect the hive so once they think they're safe they return to the hive.

So...
If you ever get attacked by bees, regardless of what kind, just run... run, run, run, until they stop chasing. They do give up.
The reason some people might die is usually panic. People freak out, wave their arms in the air, etc... just run. :D

Oh, you can get some guineas too... they'll eat honey bees.

I hope to plant more things in my yard to attract honey bees this year... but I don't have to worry about the africanized bees yet... they've only made it to the southernmost part of Arkansas so far. Not up here yet.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed May 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Very nice put milli. They still arent good to have in your yard!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 pm

yeah... I wouldn't want them in my yard. I wouldn't mind some regular honey bees in my yard.
But in a small yard, or any yard where people might be too close, any bee hive can be dangerous.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Nature Photography”