Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

fire

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

fire

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:44 pm

I looked out my window to the South earlier today and all I could see was smoke. Then, it got worse... and worse... at one point, you could barely see the sky in any direction.
I finally went down to me neighbor's house, and he just says it's a controlled burn they're doing.
Talk about a lot of smoke though.

In case anyone doesn't know what a controlled burn is...
Firefighters will go through forests and start fires on purpose. Basically, they try to burn all the low brush that could be a fire hazard later on. This helps prevent major forest fires during the hot, dry summer.
I wish they had done this yesterday though. It wasn't as windy, and maybe I wouldn't have had as much smoke in my yard.
It's beautiful out today and I have my windows open... and so I smell a lot of smoke. :roll:
oh well...
Hopefully it will help...

C_B
germinating

Re: fire

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 pm

I saw that before. Its kinda neat though! Other then it could be a pain for the animals that call that home. But at least it will prevent the whole forest from burning down. Nothing like the smell of smoke huh milli? Haha

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 pm

yeah... the fire seems to be out for the most part, as the massive clouds of smoke have pretty much gone away... but there still is enough smoke in the air for it to be all I smell right now.
I like the smell of smoke, but I also like fresh air. :lol:

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:58 pm

YOur not lying! i woke up this morning to my room smelling like skunk... Ugh...

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:48 pm

C_B wrote:YOur not lying! i woke up this morning to my room smelling like skunk... Ugh...

Why on earth did it smell like skunk? :shock:

My dad had a small fire burning yesterday; it smelled good though because it wasn't big at all :D
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm

this fire was miles away and you couldn't see anything around here there was so much smoke. But, it's clear today.

I don't mind the smell of skunk, when it's not too strong. But, I sure wouldn't want to wake up to that. :lol:

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Interesting...I haven't seen a controlled burn of a forest before. They do it all the time with orchards here.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Jackie, that's probably because the forests burn all the time by themselves there :lol:
And they probably do the controlled burns at the orchards to prevent those forest fires from destroying them.

Every summer we get really dry here, and while we sure don't have the forest fire problem that CA might, or other states, we still have that threat and so they do controlled bans to help reduce that risk. I think they only do that every few years for some areas.

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:57 am

millipede wrote:Jackie, that's probably because the forests burn all the time by themselves there :lol:
And they probably do the controlled burns at the orchards to prevent those forest fires from destroying them.

:lol: True! Actually, the orchards are burned when they're old, or the farmer wants to switch crops. They push the trees out with bulldozers and put them in piles waiting for a burn day.

Our preparation around here for wildfires are fire breaks and planting avocado trees on the hill side of your property, since those take longer to burn than lemons or oranges. We don't have forests here anyway, just a bunch of hills full of brush waiting to be burned. lol

The more "environmentally friendly" way of getting rid of orchards is using this huge chewer thing. (For lack of better words :lol: ) I wish I had a picture of one...It's a big circular machine that has blades on the inside that chop the trees as they're dumped in and they're turned into mulch to be spread and turned into the dirt. But, I believe it's expensive so that's why so many farmers opt to burn...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:24 pm

ugh, I hate when trees get wasted. Around here, and probably just about everywhere, when they go to put a house on a wooded lot(which bothers me enough since there's plenty of open land already) they just bulldoze everything into a pile and light it on fire. That's a HUGE waste. Someone could use some for building purposes... someone could use it for firewood.
sigh...

Our electric company comes around every few years making sure that trees aren't touching any wires, and they do a lot of trimming. They have a mulcher they bring with them and mulch it all. The last time I saw them I had them dump their truck of mulch on my property. I hope they come around again soon. :D
Some towns will give away mulch too. If you need cheap or free mulch, you might check around.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”