Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

March 23, 2008

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

March 23, 2008

Postby millipede » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:59 am

Luke 24:15-33; 44-53
15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
18 And the one of them, whose name was Cle-o-pas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and has not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, do day is the third day since these things were done.
22 Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre:
23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gate to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he opened to us the scriptures?
33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day;
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with the power from on high.
50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.
52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. A-men.

You know, it's interesting that those closest to Jesus were still so blind to His mysteries. He taught so many things. He tried to tell them before He died that this was to come. Yet, they still seemed like they expected something else. You can see in the above passages, in both instances, He showed them the scriptures of which He had fulfilled. Scripture that they would have known.
I don't want to take away from the importance of today, but I do want to use this story to teach another message. All that is and is to come, and all that should be, has been foretold in the scriptures.
It saddens me to see how many of the scriptures have been abandoned. So many teachings in both the Old and New Testaments are simply forgotten or ignored, or even interpreted to suit a person's own desires. God has AMAZING plans for each and every one of us. Sometimes we sit here wondering why on earth we cannot see His great plans for us. My friends, if you want to know God, want to know His great purpose in your life, want to serve Him with everything you are.... TURN TO THE SCRIPTURES, and turn to God. So much of Him IS the Word. It's all there, black and white(and sometimes red), what God wants of you. Don't be blind to His calling.
Instead of walking down the road in puzzlement like the men mentioned in the first passage above, open the scriptures and seek HIM. It is all there for your understanding.
Just like all that happened in those days, that was so confusing to those people, all that happens today is often confusing to us. Read God's word and seek the understanding He offers and you will not be misguided or confused.

Much of how people, even Christians, live their lives today is exactly why Christ had to die. Do not be confused about this. We sin. We are sinners. We are not worthy. Our punishment, that we deserve, is death. He paid that for us. Never forget that.
And never forget this:
"And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations"

While many take this weekend to spend time with family, hunt eggs, and eat candy... I pray that we might ALL take some time to just stop, take a break from the things of this world... and remember this amazing gift that God gave to us. His son's life. And while doing so, remember why He gave this gift... repent and seek forgiveness.

Matthew 28:6
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said.

Mark 16:6
Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here

Luke 24:5-6
Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen

He is risen indeed! Praise God!

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”