Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Almost Spring

Is your thumb green, or black? Have any gardening questions? Or perhaps some tips you'd like to share...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Almost Spring

Postby millipede » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:50 am

Anyone else starting their gardening plans?

We have a LOT of work to do. At the moment our garden isn't even finished being setup. The fence is about halfway up. We still have a LOT of tilling to do... and you have no idea what that is going to be like. Our yard is ALL rock and all we have to work with is a pick and a shovel. So tilling will take some time and a lot of hard work.

I plan on ordering some fruit trees and bushes this year and I plan on ordering only heirloom veggie seeds. Not entirely sure what yet... but definitely some beans, tomatoes, and peppers. We'll see what else will fit into our first ever family garden.
I'm excited.

C_B
germinating

Re: Almost Spring

Postby C_B » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I got some Garlic cloves growing right now... Who knows what else ill decide to plant... Haha

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:01 pm

cool. Have you grown garlic before? Is it easy to grow?
My wife LOVES garlic so we might be trying some this year as well.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:55 pm

So far its been a piece of cake... I put some dirt in some cheap disposable plastic cups and you buy a garlic bulb which contains about 6 max cloves and you break them into seperate cloves and plant them... The're a new experiment for me last year was tomatoes... Those arent exactly easy... These little bugs kept chopping the limbs off of my stalk... Aggrivating... Ill keep you updated on how everything goes. I love garlic and I would rather use real then artificial so thats why I have decided to grow some...

Oh yeah I have 35 planted :D .. Might have to sell some or just give to some church members...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:28 pm

interesting... are you growing these indoors or out?
Maybe I should have my wife plant a few in the window sill.

I wonder if we can get any other members to jump in and discuss their garden plans...

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I've been itching to get my tiller out and start getting my garden plot ready!! But so far, the days that I don't have to work or go to church it's either raining or something comes up to keep me from "playing in the dirt again!" LOL I'm hoping *fingers crossed* to get out there tomorrow afternoon.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:01 pm

No they are outside! My mom would stroek if i had plants inside. Haha.. I have an update on what i planted today!

Apple Tree
Lemon Tree
Pomagranite
Kiwi
Tomatoes
Cucumbers

Wish me luck!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 pm

must be nice to have a tiller. I'm not looking forward to breaking up the ground for our garden. Our soils is SO rocky, it's crazy... and, no tiller... just a pick and a shovel. Fun. :roll:

CB, I wish I could plant some of those trees. I wouldn't mind some lemons, oranges, etc... But, I'll find plenty more native stuff to plant.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:42 pm

millipede wrote:must be nice to have a tiller. I'm not looking forward to breaking up the ground for our garden. Our soils is SO rocky, it's crazy... and, no tiller... just a pick and a shovel. Fun. :roll:

I just got my tiller last year, so the year before that all I had was a pick and shovel too LOL. It was awful! I didn't think I was ever gonna get it all broke up! Anyway, I did get my garden plowed up today YAY! I don't know exactly when I'll start planting though...Last year I had corn, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers (they did NOT do well at all), and banana peppers.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:31 pm

our ground has some clay and a LOT of rock here. When I was a kid, back in Massachusetts, we'd dig holes in the yard for fun. It isn't as fun here :lol:

mmm, I like banana peppers. We'll plant peppers for sure, but I don't know what kind yet. I need to start ordering some seeds soon.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Gardens...”