Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

November 30, 2008

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

November 30, 2008

Postby millipede » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:34 am

Proverbs 15:1
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Yeah, just one verse this week.
I want everyone reading this to really think about this passage, and how true it is.
Personally, I know exactly how true these words are. At the time that I am posting this topic, my wife is still gone and I still don't know if and when she'll come home. I can promise you that one of the big reasons she left is because we did not live by verses such as this. Like many people out there, when we got really upset about something we would often say things that we did not really mean. Things out of anger.
Think about it some. You're having a disagreement with someone about something, and their opinion is upsetting you. The words YOU use in your conversation will greatly impact the response of the person you're talking with.
for example: let's say I was having a discussion with my wife about who's turn it was to do a certain chore or something of that nature... And let's say, she insists it's my turn and I disagree... but, I say something dumb like "you're such a pain", or "I can't stand you".
While this is just an example of how a conversation could go, take a look at what I said in those examples and just think about how my wife could respond to those comments.......... My wife and I were both guilty of such responses in conversations. Those responses in anger may not be meant... but they end up being quite hurtful. Think about how you'd feel when someone you love says something like that. But, it happens ALL the time in most relationships. Husband and wife relationships, sibling relationships, parent child relationships, friends, etc.... happens everywhere you go.
Now think about another situation, where you're talking with someone you disagree with... and that person is already getting upset. Now, you already know what can happen if you say something in anger... what if you say something out of love? something peaceful... It usually will defuse the situation rather quickly.

well, I could go on... just take a serious look at how you handle your arguments/confrontations. Choose your words wisely.

Father God I just thank you for today. I thank you for all that you have shown and taught me. I thank you for the words of wisdom you have put together in the Bible so that we might learn your ways. Teach me Lord to be a peaceful man... teach me to choose my words wisely. Teach me to choose kind words even when I'm dealing with an angry person. Help me to show love to everyone around me. I want people to see you reflected in me wherever I go. Thank you for your word and thank you for all the work you are doing in my life right now.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”