Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Bug Pictures

Got a great nature photo? Why not share it with us?
VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Bug Pictures

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:49 pm

originally posted Oct 27, 2006

Okay, here are some pics I took this summer...

Praying Mantis...

Swallowtail Butterfly? (I think)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: Bug Pictures

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

yep, that's a swallowtail for sure... a quick picture comparison makes me think it's probably an Eastern Black Swallowtail.

Nice Mantis... With the little I know of them I would guess it is a praying mantis, but something you might want to consider is that there are quite a few species of mantid in the United Sates, at least 2 in Virginia that look fairly similar. The praying Mantis and the carolina mantid. They are fairly similar and the differences are not easy to notice. That picture doesn't show enough to make identification easy, but I'm thinking it id indeed a Praying Mantis. Here in Arkansas, I think most people will just call them praying mantis... I mean, that's all anyone ever hears right? But we don't actually have the praying mantis here in arkansas, all we have is the carolina mantid. I bet 90something percent of Arkansans call them praying mantis anyway. Oh well.
I have some decent pictures of our carolina mantids somewhere... I see them on the side of the house all the time.

you know, I just noticed... is that the empty crysalis in that picture? Did that butterfly JUST emerge?

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Neat! It's only seven in the morning and I've already learned something! I never knew that about the Carolina mantid... we've always just called 'em praying mantises.

Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that the butterfly had just emerged when I snapped that pic. It looked so pretty there, drying it's wings. :)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:51 pm

seven in the morning... too early for me :lol:
Glad you learned something though. I enjoy learning, some things...

When I was in 6th grade we went on a trip to some camp. While there we went to some salt marsh and looked at stuff there. I found an egg case to a praying mantis. I asked the lady there if I could take it home... she looked at it and told me they all hatched so, sure I could. Sometime later I went down to my room and found baby praying mantids all over my dresser. That was funny.
I wish we had the praying mantis here... I think they're prettier than the carolina mantid... at least sometimes. They can both vary in color.
hmm... I wonder why I haven't kept one for a pet yet...

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

I didn't know that there was more than the praying mantis, either. Cool!

We used to catch bunches of whatever kind of mantis they were, and put them in an aquarium until they laid their eggs. We actually saw a couple lay eggs - kinda weird. And they generally killed whatever males we put in there - I guess they didn't have any use for them by the time we captured them, but we wanted to be sure. :)
One year there was an egg case on our dad's chair on the porch, and there were THOUSANDS (I guess maybe it wasn't that many - I didn't count them) of babies all over the place. They were cute!
We also used to collect the swallowtail caterpillars, and raise them. Occasionally we'd forget to give them water, and then they'd shrivel up. Oops.
We always called them Parsnip Swallowtails, because that's what our book called them, or black swallowtails.
We tried Monarchs, once, but they didn't make it.
So that's what we did with bugs - did we do anything else, CG?

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:53 pm

they can be cannibalistic, so keeping a bunch together would indeed result in some of them being eaten.

Bugs are fun aren't they?

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 pm

We used to like to capture bunches of bugs and put them in mason jars with screening over top. We'd arrange the jars on the front porch and call it our bug zoo or something. Remember that, GW? :)

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Nature Photography”