Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

warming up

how's the weather treating you? post your weather chit chat here...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

warming up

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 am

Things are getting warmer. While most people are quite excited about it, this is not my favorite time of year.
Certain critters are coming out that I'm not so fond of.
Ticks have started making their appearance. We have just about 5 acres and most of it is wooded. We have a LOT of ticks.
Chiggers are not out yet but will be soon enough. We have TONS of those too. If you don't know what chiggers are, consider yourself lucky.
Horse flies aren't out yet either but I'm not looking forward to them. These things are about an inch long and they bite. They also chase you. If one flies around you and you run, they will follow you for a certain distance. There an area of our road near the bottom of our driveway where they often hang out every summer.
And lastly, wasps. I can't stand wasps and hornets. We have LOTS of those in our yard. And they are out in full force already. It ends up making me want to stay inside most of the summer. That really stinks because there are things that I want to do in the yard. But those wasps fly around me and startle me and it makes being outside less fun.
If I had lots and lots of money I would move back up to the northeast somewhere. Growing up in Massachusetts I didn't see so many ticks, horse flies, or wasps... and I never knew what a chigger was til I moved here.
For now, we're here. This is where we'll stay.

This warming up is also bringing the beginning of tornado season. Usually the end of April and beginning of May are the worst for this are. Fortunately for us, this particular area doesn't get hit to hard by severe weather. With the exception of property damage and injuries and deaths, I kind of like severe weather. I find it interesting.

on the plus side... this warming up brings out some of the bits of nature that I really love. Trees are getting their leaves, flowers are blooming, birds are singing, etc... The past few years my kids and I have been collecting caterpillars to raise to moths and butterflies. We're looking forward to that again this year.

Are things warming up where you are? How do you feel about it?

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weather...”