Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

A day at the park.

This section is for all of your outdoor activities that don't fall into the other categories...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

A day at the park.

Postby millipede » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:10 am

Our homeschool group has a "nature notebook" class every month. The kids are supposed to keep a notebook where they journal things they've found, stuff like that. It's pretty interesting.

Today we spent some time in the park. We had a scavenger hunt and tried to teach the kids about observation. More than just finding stuff on a list. We wanted them to really look around and observe everything around them. I think it's something important for kids to learn. Every day MOST people are completely oblivious to the many wonders around us. If we don't pay attention to any of those details, how will we be able to care for them? But before I go off on a tangent there, I'll just get back to today.

We had a great time. This park had a nice little trail to walk around and a creek that went by it. I think the creek was the best part for most of the kids. A few of them spent some time IN the creek catching crayfish and fish.
Here's one that I caught(without getting in the creek):
And after I caught it one of the kids noticed this:
Yep, those are eggs under her. Pretty cool I thought. Just had to get pictures of her as I don't see that often.
Oh, most people down in this part of the country call them crawdads, but their real name is actually crayfish.

As we were heading back to the cars to leave, one of the kids (I think it was my daughter, bad memory) noticed what she thought was some beetles on a light post. I went to look... it turned out to be baby spiders climbing off to go start lives of their own. We actually got to see a few of them fly away. that was exciting.

One of the things we were sort of supposed to look for was a bird nest in a tree. This had been seen by someone before all of us came so we were supposed to find where it was. I decided to get a picture from above the nest, as it wasn't TOO high.
Nothing in it. I'm guessing it's an old one.

Well, that's all for now I guess. I had a lot of fun and I know my daughter did too. Even though she was told not to, she was one of the kids that ended up in the creek. :roll:

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Re: A day at the park.

Postby Nicki » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 pm

Awesome pics! That is so neat that the crawdad had eggs under her!! We call them crawdads here too.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks.
I keep looking at that crayfish picture and feel like I'm looking into a lobster tank. :lol:

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Oh wow! how exciting! I bet that was alot of fun!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:43 pm

It was... and this month's class will be even better. We're going to a park that is called Devil's Den. It's got caves... that should be fun.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Oh my caves are fun to go into! Especially the ones where people before us made trails along the walls only 2 to 3 feet wide from the wall! That is a challenge and me not liking heights is a little scary to me...

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:07 pm

I don't think I've ever been in a cave before...my mom can't stand caves LOL. We were gonna go to Ruby Falls one year, but mom didn't want to LOL. I don't know if I would like them or not...they seem really interesting though
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 pm

caves can be scary if you're claustrophobic or something... but otherwise they're quite fun if you ask me. I LOVE exploring. I end up looking for crickets, millipedes, and cave salamanders.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Yeah, Mom is claustrophobic; she doesn't like elevators either :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm

well, I don't know what my plans are for tomorrow now... but that trip to the caves was canceled. We had a lot of storms yesterday and that area got hit pretty hard. A lot of trails are closed.
Oh well. I'm sure I'll come up with something of interest to do tomorrow.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “The great outdoors...”