Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Tire swing

This section is for all of your outdoor activities that don't fall into the other categories...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Tire swing

Postby millipede » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Well, I might be setting one up this year. I hadn't thought about it TOO much before... but a few days ago I was down at the river... it's been a little wet lately, wet enough to raise the level of the water a bit. When it gets real high, it goes around this one area kind of forming islands. It's pretty cool. When the water is lower, some of that water just pools...
but anyway...
When this water moves through these areas when it's that high, a lot of debris ends up in those areas as well. Mostly large sticks and trees even... but, there's also a bit of garbage that collects in those areas. So, the other day I saw this tire down there. It's a nice BIG tire, like off a tractor or something. I was thinking that'd make a decent tire swing. So, some morning this week I plan on going down there and hauling it up, cleaning it off, and setting up a tire swing.
Not sure where it's going yet, but I have plenty of trees.
I don't look forward to dragging it up here... I don't have a pickup truck, and there's no way I'm putting that filthy thing in my van, if it would even fit... so that means I have to roll it up hill... that will be fun. :roll:
Not sure when all this will be accomplished, but I'll be sure to get pictures if and when it gets finished.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Re: Tire swing

Postby Nicki » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Sounds like fun (swinging in it, not rolling it up the hill LOL) I love tire swings! I never had one at my house, but I used to play on them at playgrounds.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

fortunately it hasn't rained since I saw the tire, so the water shouldn't be any higher and the tire should still be there. Maybe I'll remember it tomorrow. I'll try to get a picture when I do.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:37 am

ugh... I went down there yesterday with a rope I borrowed from my neighbor, which was really just a short piece of clothesline. That didn't help.
This tire is BIG and it has a nice solid steel rim still in it. So, I believe it is heavier than I am. I rolled it out of the pile of brush onto the side of the hill... but I couldn't quite get it up the ledge by myself.
Today while I'm out, I plan on getting a much better rope and see if that helps me move it... we'll see.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:54 pm

update... it's still not in my yard yet. :roll:

I got myself a real rope... I messed around with that tire for HOURS. I finally worked out a system where I'd tie the rope to one side of the tire, pull it tight around a tree up the hill, then back down and tie it to the tire again.
Then I would take a stick and twist the two sections of rope. As it twisted it got tighter SLOWLY pulling the tire up over the ledge/cliff.
After quite a while, I finally got it up over the top. Then, I managed to roll it part way up another hill. After a while I just couldn't do anymore.
I went over to my neighbor's and asked if he wanted to do some heavy lifting for like 5 or 10 minutes... Nope. Oh well. I'll either find someone to give me a hand, or just kill myself a little each day until I get that tire up here.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 pm

well, for the time being the tire swing idea is out the window.
After spending those two days getting the tire as far as I did... it's gone.
That flooding rain we got... the water came up the bank a good 15-20 feet just high enough to find where I had left the tire... I am NOT happy about it... but, what can you do

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:22 pm

aw..that's too bad...it would have been really fun :(
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:37 pm

yeah, it was a big disappointment... I mean, all that work moving it as far as I did... then the fact that I now don't have a tire at all... and the fact that a tire that size would probably be worth a few hundred bucks :lol:
Oh well. I'll get over it.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Haha that sounds like something that would happen to me! Sorry to hear about that.

rabi
Spammer

Postby rabi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 pm

i wanna see that post again
RABI>>>>>>>>>>>

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “The great outdoors...”