Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

interesting, wild plants

want to talk plants? Need an id for some plant you found?
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: interesting, wild plants

Postby millipede » Tue May 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey, that's a good idea... I could sort of make my own catalog of edible wild plants... Great idea.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Good idea! could you sell them? They could be the new grown by nature herself! Haha. Maybe you can make some good money!!!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed May 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Oh, I don't know enough about them to think about making money from the idea. I mean, people can just buy the field guide I have...
But, it will be nice for my own reference and to have listed here for everyone.

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm

a really good wild green is Lambs Quarters - cooked it tastes even better than spinach and it grows everywhere in our garden. :roll: :lol: I think it'd be a little weird raw, but my rabbits like it that way. :D

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

I really need to study up on these more...
I'm sure we have a TON of edible plants in yard... I just need to be certain which is which as I'm sure we have some toxic ones as well.

marykays1
germinating

Re: interesting, wild plants/white pine?

Postby marykays1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 pm

I have a book on wild edible plants that I got in 1982...LOL, but it wasn't until this yr that I pulled it out and dusted it off, when I took a couple classes on wild edible plants......Simply amazing.

And I just got a handcrank manual stainless steel (wheatgrass) juicer from fernsnutrition.com that works great. They have lighter weight plastic ones from other companies, but I plan on handing this down to my children and their children etc....I think it is a good survival tool. I mean if there were hardly any food, you can juice grass, for crying out loud!

I currently have tubs full of frozen lamb's quarters in my freezer. It's wild spinach and can grow up to about three feet tall. For some reason, I have a heck of a time growing spinach, but I have a garden full of lamb's quarters....I allow it to grow and allow a couple plants to go to seed each yr. This was the first year that I juiced it.

One of the lectures I went to this summer was by a guy who got into eating wild plants because his father died and he had six siblings and his mom was poor. A friend of theirs told them about lamb's quarters and they ate them practically every day.

Another story by a guywho also wrote a book...John Nylges? something like that.....was that he was in a German concentration camp. The men were absolutely starving. Every day when the guards let the men outside, he would sneak some dandelion greens and eat them. Some of the men made fun of him. When the Allies rescued the conc camp, he was the only one alive - however he weighed 87 lbs. He was able to obtain nutrition from those greens.

And I just recently learned that stinging nettles are edible! During the summer, wear gloves, harvest them and juice them! High in minerals. You can also dry them, and grind them to a powder in your coffee mill.

Frontier sells cut and sifted nettles, and I bought a pound. I put them in a coffee grinder and turn them into powder, then mix with my water and drink during the day. I'm assuming they'd be quite alkalizing. Doesn't taste bad!

My next venture is white pine. I think you can make tea from the needles, as well as juice them. I'm going to try to learn about them. We discussed this in one of the classes but my memory is foggy!!! If anyone knows, just holler. Otherwise, I'll be googling .....

Thanks for starting this interesting thread, Millipede. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Mary Kay

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks for that response...
I like dandelion greens. I've had them in salads and on sandwiches.
I never knew what lamb's quarters were until last year when birdbrain was talking to me about them on AIM. I found some growing right next to one of the pens. I wanted to try some, but they were so close to the pens I kind of didn't like the idea, simply because there would be poultry poop all over them :lol:

I need to do some more reading, but I think I have a bunch of wild carrots in my yard. That was an interesting find.

I haven't tried anything with white pine... but, I have tried making a tea with the needles from eastern hemlock. Native Americans supposedly did that... I don't really remember how it tasted but I do want to try it again if I ever get the chance.

And a random survival tip... though it probably wont taste good, the inner bark of all pine trees is edible. There are different uses for it... and hopefully you wont find yourself in a situation where that's the only thing to eat... but, you can if you ever need to. :lol:

A manual juicer? hmm... that sounds like a handy tool.

keljonma
germinating

Postby keljonma » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't know about a tea with white pine. But I have this one for a all purpose cleaning solution made with white pine needles.

Homemade All Purpose Natural cleaner

Take white pine needles...they are the ones with 5 needles per cluster.
Cut small branch stems from tree and put them in a jar.
Pack them in well and fill jar with water.
Put a tight lid on the jar to seal.
Let sit for about a week, then strain.
Put into a spray bottle and you have your very own natural household cleaner.
Whit pine has many disinfecting and deodorizing properties.

keljonma
germinating

Postby keljonma » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:15 pm

I recently found a wonderful book at a trash and treasure sale called The Countryside Cook Book, by Gail Duff. The Illustrations by Linda Garland are just beautiful; and the book is full of recipes and remedies using wild plants.

For nettles, it says they should not be picked for cnsumption after the beginning of summer, since they could become coarse, bitter, and slightly laxative. So be careful, MK, if you're going to be picking your own! :D

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 am

interesting about the white pine keljonma... I don't think I have any white pine close by or I'd try that. I would love the smell of that. :D

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Plants...”