Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

interesting, wild plants

want to talk plants? Need an id for some plant you found?
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

interesting, wild plants

Postby millipede » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:42 pm

The memory card for my camera is FULL otherwise I might have taken a picture or two... I was cutting some weeds today and came across a few that smelled really good. At first I smelled something like mint... like, wintergreen almost. Only, wintergreen is a small evergreen ground cover while this weed I was cutting was just a weed... a succulent type weed, non hardy. So, I'm not sure what it is...
Well, when trying to figure out just which one it was that I was cutting to find that aroma, I actually found another interesting weed. This one, when I broke the stem it smelled like black pepper. yum.
Again, I'm not sure what this one was either... But, still interesting.
I'm sure there's TONS of edible weeds in my yard, and I'd love to eat more of them... I mean, free food... how awesome is that. I just need to learn more about them so I never eat the wrong ones.

C_B
germinating

Re: interesting, wild plants

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:38 pm

Maybe some herbs! Thats crazy neat!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 am

yeah, it is... It's amazing how many plants grow wild that you can eat. Quite a few more than most people could imagine. Some common weeds are edible... I have a whole book of edible wild plants... but even with that, I'm not completely comfortable just grabbing stuff and eating it, as there's quite a few dangerous plants as well.
I've eaten dandelions, and they're not bad at all.
If I can figure out what these are, and learn to spot them easily... I might have some more wild foods to add.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 am

That's really neat...I've never ate any wild plants; for one thing I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad LOL
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:37 am

well... as long as your yard is chemical and fertilizer free... you can eat dandelions. Every part of them is edible. I don't know that I've eaten a flower... all I've tried has been the leaves. Doesn't taste all that different than some other salad greens someone might eat.
And... I've never tried it but the roots are used as a coffee substitute. And that's just one of many plants you can eat.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:28 pm

I am not fond of things that are in the wild. I wouldnt eat it... My mamaw always said if it grows in the wild dont touch it... WHo knows it could be poisonous!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 pm

If you know what you're looking at, then there is no threat of it being dangerous. If people didn't eat wild plants at some point in time, we wouldn't have half the foods we eat now.
Ever eat blackberries? Around here, there's TONS of wild ones that taste great. Free food. How could you pass that up?

Now, if you don't know what's what then I will agree, you don't want to just try things to see what they're like. But, on our budget... I can use all the free food I can find. :D
There's another weed I'm considering trying sometime soon... it's a wild plantain. It's not like the plantains at the store... it's just a short weed. I know it's edible, I just haven't tried it yet.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue May 06, 2008 6:52 pm

How do you know its edible? Thats what i cant figure out! Very true there milli. Its just i dont want to be the one to find out if the plants are poisonous or not :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue May 06, 2008 7:09 pm

I know how you feel, which is why I'm probably more careful than I need to be. I have a book on edible wild plants. There's TONS of research out there that's already been done. If you read up on it you can learn what is safe and what isn't.
Take mushrooms for example. There are tons of them that grow wild that are safe to eat... then there are some that are deadly. Some people know the difference well enough, and it's something you can learn... but I don't know enough about them to ever try it.
With the wild plants/weeds, I'll just sample them as I learn them.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue May 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Thats kool! Take some pictures of the plants you find are edible!

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Plants...”