We look forward to meeting you... :)

Happy New Year

Sort of like my blog, only not a blog.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Happy New Year

Postby millipede » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm not huge on holidays for several reasons. I have some thoughts on New Years. This year I decided not to write about it but share a note I wrote last year on facebook. This is from December of 2010.

Yep, another note from me...

got a few thoughts about this "holiday" that many of you may roll your eyes at. I do things differently than most people I know... that's just how God made me. It's not always a bad thing though... not being like other people that is...

anyway...
Like other holidays, I don't bother celebrating new years. It's a holiday, like others, that makes little sense to me. A "new" year is nothing more than a new day. There's nothing magical about a new year. It doesn't promise a "fresh start" any more than a new day does. Is there any symbolism or any other special thing about it? not really. But, you see what you want to see.

Year after year I see people saying things like "2010, you stunk... good bye" or some silly thing like that. People waning the next year to be better. While that in itself isn't exactly a bad thing, there's a bit of dreaming or wishful thinking involved.

The way I look at it...
The past is already in the past. Let it go and move on. What's the difference between "next year" and "tomorrow". There really is none.
What will come next year? Nobody can say. Will it be better or worse? Who knows. Wait and see what happens...
but also... what will you do tomorrow to make the next year better? There is much in life that is completely out of our hands. But, there is still much that you have LOTS of control over. So many choices we make every day that affect everything around us.

I know people who complain about every last thing they can(chances are I'm not talking about you if you're reading this)
Some complain about the weather... some complain about getting sick. Some complain about not enough people giving them attention... some just complain and complain. There's LOTS to complain about. But there's SO much more to be thankful for. There's one person in particular that I wish there was a gentle way of telling them to STOP feeling sorry for themselves and actually do something to change their own life instead of blaming everyone else for how they feel.

I'm getting a little off track here, lots on my mind I guess.
But... the point of all that is, with the exception of those things that are completely out of your control... each day is what YOU make of it. That whole make lemonade from the lemons life gives you thing. It is true. Make the best of every day.
Stop worrying about what 2011 is going to be like. Worry about today... the bible says that today has enough to worry about already... and of course that, nobody knows what tomorrow holds. Why worry about it?
If you think that 2010 just totally STUNK... forget about it. It's over. Is tomorrow better because it's 2011? NO. Is it better because it's a new day? Could be. But, you have to do your part to see that it is.
Again, there's a lot that life throws at you that is out of your hands... but, every decision you make affects what happens next. Life's like one of those books where you have several options... depending on what YOU choose, the outcome is different.
I know people that do drugs, it has affected their brains... and they have what I'd consider issues because of it. But when life gets hard, they choose to blame everyone else for their problems.
If you do illegal things, you can get in trouble. Can't blame ANYONE for that one but yourself.....
If you hang out with bad people who do bad things, one way or another it WILL affect you.
If you hang out with people with a bad attitude, or that swear... chances are, you WILL pick some of that up...

Eh... I could go on, these are just a couple of simple examples... there's just SO much we all do each day that does affect what our tomorrows bring.
anyway... tomorrow is a new day... make the best of it. To me personally, the year part of the date means nothing to me. Each day is a new day.....

Now onto resolutions....... :)
I do not know why the majority of people bother with these. I haven't seen many resolutions succeed. Why is that? Well, I have my thoughts about that.
Resolutions take will power... Not only will power but, will power to STOP or START doing something different. Humans are not good at change. It's uncomfortable.......
The amount of will power needed is great.
The way I look at it though is......
If you can't make a change TODAY... chances are you wont be able to do it tomorrow either.
So many people WAIT til the "new year" to make a change in their life. Why wait til January 1st for something if it's important and you REALLY want to do it?
Think about it.
I don't think resolutions themselves are bad.... but, most people aren't that serious about them, and that's why they fail.
To me, the way I see it...
If it's THAT important you wont wait til tomorrow to get on it. You wont wait til the next year... you wont make a resolution to do something at a later date... if it's THAT important, you'll get off your butt and DO IT NOW.
And if it's difficult..... and you REALLY are serious about it... Get someone to help you. Seriously. Most things are easier to do with help...
Losing weight... quitting smoking or any other habit... Most of these things, and most things people resolve to do, are difficult and we really can use all the help we can get.
If you feel the need to make a resolution this year... think and pray about it hard. Ask yourself how serious you really are about it. Then, START PLANNING for it. Seriously..... Weight loss, just to use an example... Don't simply say "I'm going to lose 10 pounds next year..."
That plan will fail. Start thinking about what exactly you're going to do. Make commitments. Find a workout buddy. Start NOW.
Tomorrow may never come. God hasn't promised us tomorrow. None of us(whether you subscribe to what the bible says or are an atheist), none of us have any idea what tomorrow will bring. You may wait til Spring to stop smoking and lose a few pounds... but a week before your starting point, you may die of a heart attack. A dark example to use I suppose but, a true one. I'm trying to make a point you know... :)

I am TOTALLY not someone to preach on procrastination but.... saying you'll do something tomorrow or "next year"... isn't that procrastination?
There are some things in life... (usually the types of things people make resolutions about) that are just TOO important to put off.
It's a noble thing to want to better yourself and make positive changes in your life. But, you don't need a "new year" to do that. :)

Anyway... I wont even go into how stupid I think watching a ball drop is... HA...
I hope you all have a great year... but, those numbers are just numbers. I hope tomorrow is great and I hope you all do what you can to make it great. Seize the day and all that you know......
If I could find a three stooges marathon on tv tonight, I'd stay up til midnight...
Anyone want to come do some yard work with me tomorrow afternoon? You could get some exercise... you'd be helping a friend... you'd be out in the fresh air...

:)

In all seriousness though... Make the best of what life throws at you. There will be some curve balls along the way. It's up to you how you get though them. To some extent(more than most realize maybe...) what 2011 will be like is up to you....

(sometimes when I'm typing I have this odd feeling that some people might agree while others are just going to hear "blah blah blah" from me....)
Anyway...... ( I say anyway a lot.... though years ago I used to say "anyways" until this girl kept correcting me......)
I have some strong opinions about things and even though they usually differ from popular opinion, I find some of my thoughts important enough(to me at least) to share.

Sharing is good right? :)

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Nicki » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 am

If I could find a three stooges marathon on tv tonight, I'd stay up til midnight...

I stayed up one year till midnight watching Andy Griffith marathon...that was really fun :)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 am

I'd stay up for that as well. I like those shows. I don't always watch it but, there's usually an episode of Andy Griffith on every evening, fairly late.
This year I stayed up late with my oldest daughter. She didn't want to stay up because it was new years eve... she just wanted to stay up late.
We ended up watching a movie or two and we played a few wii games.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 pm

My husband and I stayed up till midnight this year; we watched Tron (it was ok, but not my favorite movie)

I love the old movies! I think my favorite is Gomer Pyle USMC! He is sooo funny!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I have season 1 of Gomer Pyle on dvd. "surprise surprise surprise..." He was a great character in that and the Andy Griffith show.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 am

LOL he is so hilarious!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 am

surprise surprise surprise...

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “My Soapbox”