We look forward to meeting you... :)

an impulse buy

What pets do you have? Share with us...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: an impulse buy

Postby millipede » Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm

CB, personally I think cutting of any part of an animal for show purposes to be dumb. But with sheep, that tail can get really dirty, attract flies, and actually carry maggots. That's why people dock them.

I forgot to mention, I can really see that she's fattened up a bit.

I may try to go to the auction again soon too, but don't bring her on my account. I wouldn't want her just sitting in the truck or something... of course you could put her on a leash... but then you'd have a million people asking if she's for sale :lol:

blue01
germinating

Postby blue01 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 pm

C_B, probably, if we are intent on breeding her, I'll breed her (for free! :D Gotta love knowin sheep people) to a Suffolk ram. Suffolks are meat sheep, therefore it'll be a convientient mix. Hopefully, her hair gene would carry over, and the lamb would have good size and muscule structure. With her tail, Milli is right. Tails are a menace with sheep. They get in the way, they get drity easily (that means more annoying baths for the sheep) and all in all, they're a pain. But, I wouldn't remove the last bone in her tail like most people do for show lambs. I would keep it there so that she couldn't relapse (I think that's the term they use) when she lambed.

Oh little Lucy wouldn't have "just sitting in the truck" she's too active for that. :lol: She's so spoiled, she probably wouldn't even need a halter. She'd probably just follow me around the whole time, silly sheep. :D Yep, she's getting to be a big girl, she still likes hanging out with Scamp and Shy (our dogs) more than Latte, Mocha, Cherrie, Betty, Lamb #1 and Lamb #2 (our sheep. (Yes, the two lambs have numbers currently because they're market lambs and I don't want to name them.)) Yesterday, she got so jealous that I had a baby goat inside that she finally figured out how to OPEN THE FRONT DOOR so that she could come inside. I swear, sheep ARE NOT as dumb as people say they are.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu May 08, 2008 8:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
She opened the door? That's a riot.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Fri May 09, 2008 11:15 am

Wow! She does look alot bigger! She sure is a cutie!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Aww she's cute!!!

blue01 wrote:I would keep it there so that she couldn't relapse (I think that's the term they use) when she lambed.

Prolapse. ;)

blue01 wrote:I swear, sheep ARE NOT as dumb as people say they are.

:lol: I agree!!! I've had both...either REALLY stupid, or pretty smart. We've had them open the latches on the pens at Fair. Now we put carrabiner clips on them so they can't get out. The smart ones can open the latches and run. The stupid ones get the gate open and stand there. :roll: :lol:

blue01
germinating

Postby blue01 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:41 pm

Ahh, prolapse! Now I've got it. I can never keep those terms right. x.x

One of my friend's market lambs opened the gate at the state fair, we caught him, but then all of the county's sheep had to be tied up. :lol:

blue01
germinating

Postby blue01 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:22 am

Yesterday, my mom and I were shearing all of my market lambs to cool them off (since it's been 75 or above all week) and I think we went a little clipper-crazy.....We even sheared Lucy. We're probably going to shear Cherrie (my yearing ewe), Mocha, and Latte. (our 6 month old Kahtadin ewe lambs) She looks like a badly-shaved poodle. We really just sheared her to cool her off, but I said "Aww, Mom, she looks like a poodle now!" and my mom proceeded to shave down her tail until she had a little pom-pom at the end of it like a poodle......poor little lambie.

I would get pictures today, but I'm leaving for Tampa and I'll be gone until the 4th of June, so y'all will have to wait a little bit for pictures of my Fido Baa-Baa (My dad's "Star Wars" name for Lucy)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 am

You really need to have your camera on hand more often :lol:
That sounds pretty funny...

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Glad everything is settled and it's working out!

The hair gene sort of carries over - I know of people who have crossed the two types and you end up with a sheep that is sorta in between. They don't really shed like the hair breeds, so you have to shear them, but they do have sort of hairy wool. Does that make sense?

blue01
germinating

Postby blue01 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:21 am

dixiechick wrote:They don't really shed like the hair breeds, so you have to shear them, but they do have sort of hairy wool. Does that make sense?

Yes, now that Lucy has shed out of her lamb wool/hair, we believe that she IS a cross between a hair breed (Maybe a Dorper or Katahdin) and a wool/meat breed (Maybe a speckled or a Dorset?)

Lucy still appears to be a badly-sheared poodle. :roll: But her hair/wool is growing back in, so she doesn't look AS bad as she did. I'll make sure to post a picture of my little Poodle-Sheep. Shes starting to finally fit in with my market lambs and Cherrie. But, once I sell my Suffolk whether, I'll put my 3 Suffolk ewes out in the pasture and I'll put Lucy out there too. I've been trying to get her to stay in the pasture with our 4 horses, Simmental cow, 7 goats, and 2 other Katahdin ewe lambs.But, every time I put her in, whether I turn on the electric fence or not, she always gets out and gets back into the market lamb pen. Occasionally, when my dad isn't home (he doesn't like Lucy running amuck) my mom will let me let Lucy out to run around, she loves that!

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Pets...”