Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Helping the birds we love so much!

For your feathery neighbors
C_B
germinating

Helping the birds we love so much!

Postby C_B » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:00 pm

There is always something someone can do that would help to benefit the wildlife around them. Well i have some thought that I would like to share with yall that would help the birds!

Dog hair, not much you can do with the hair after you get done brushing your dog or cat... Just big balls of fur... Well that would be a great benifit to many breeds of birds. Most of the time gathering materials to build the nest for there young that have a hard time finding the right materials. So the next time you brush you cat or dog to get off its annoying old fur off, just remeber everything can be used for something else just in a different way!

String, this is optional... Again many birds will get use out of this kind of material... Yes you may have to buy some sting but think about how useful it is for the birds... Please only use string 2 to 3 inches long. To prevent birds from becoming strangled.

Trees, Arbor day is coming up and is a great holiday that needs to be celebrated! Many times i get depressed thinking how many trees are getting cut down every day for useless stuff for more houses that there are plenty of out there already... This is something we need to keep in mind. Trees serve a very big purpose for birds. They provide nests, food, comfort and security... They also provide fresh air. When you get the chance plant a tree that might benefit the birds we love so much!

Where to put the hair and string. The best place would be in the suet feeders. That way the bird can seperate the hairs and use as much as they wont...
Last edited by C_B on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: Helping the birds we love so much!

Postby millipede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Good idea. No use throwing away hair...
String, I'm not so sure about. I've heard you don't want to offer string to caged birds because it could get tangled around their feet. Might be the same with wild birds.

Trees are DEFINITELY a good idea. I've planted a few the past few years, and I plan on planting a lot more this year.
I have a few in mind that I know will attract birds. :D

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Maybe so i forgot to add dont use LONG string just string 2 to 3 inches long. Thanks for adding that millli.

Thats good! I wish i could plant trees but we arent staying at the ouse we are in so i dont want to plant to many trees and not be able to witness them... What kind of trees you plan on planting?

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm

I planted a mulberry tree a while back, about 5 or 6 feet tall. I plan on planting a few more of those. I'm also going to look into some serviceberry. Then I might be looking into some apple and plum... we'll see. I'm not entirely sure, but it will be some interesting stuff.
I need to get those ordered soon actually.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:14 am

If im not mistaken, some nuseries will give discounts on Harbor day... All dont but im sure some do...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 am

possibly.
I plan on ordering some from catalogs...
If you buy from a place like Lowes or any place where their trees are seasonal, if you look towards the end of that season you can often get them at a lower price.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:11 pm

I always toss out dog and cat hair for the birds! :)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Birds”