We look forward to meeting you... :)

bird rescue

For your feathery neighbors
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

bird rescue

Postby millipede » Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 am

Well, I found a young bird today. It looks old enough that it should start flying soon. I sure looked like it had fallen from a nest or something... but, I couldn't find a nest anywhere in sight... couldn't find any sign of any parents... and this bird was just sitting there, right next to a main walkway in the middle of the park downtown. I watched it a bit and decided it didn't have a ton of chance where it was.
Man that thing could bite HARD. But it was easy to catch. I tried resting it in a small tree but it just fell straight back to the ground. So, we took it home. We gave it some seeds and some bugs, and it is eating both. It's also drinking water... so all in all it's in good shape. Looks like it will be an easy on as far as rescues go. I just happened to have one section of a pen open out there... so I set up a food dish, some water, and a bunch of branches for it to hop around on so it can get a little higher in case it wants to practice its flying.

Anyway... I'm too tired to get pictures on here right now... But I did get a few pictures. I am not entirely sure what kind of bird it is. I'm learning more and more birds around here, but only adults really and there's still plenty that I don't know yet. I'm quite sure it isn't a robin. I looked at a bunch of baby pictures of robins and I'm sure of that. This is brown, has some small streaks on a white breast with some yellow under the wings.
But I'll get pictures tomorrow...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: bird rescue

Postby millipede » Sun May 11, 2008 12:30 am

I still don't have the pictures up... but... it was dead when I went to check on it this morning.
I have no idea what happened. It was active. Fully feathered... It was eating and drinking and had plenty of food and water... So I'm not sure what happened to the poor little thing.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Thu May 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Aww.. that's sad. :cry: Are you still gonna post the pictures of it?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Thu May 15, 2008 8:23 pm

I plan on it... but I've been REALLY bad about that lately... I have SOOOOOO many pictures that are unorganized, I just don't even want to touch them. :roll:

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Fri May 16, 2008 4:02 am

LOL me too. I finally got all my pictures organized last night...took a couple of hours to get everything finished I think.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Fri May 16, 2008 10:49 am

Several things could have gone wrong. Certain birds have certain stress levels and can only take so much handling. Another thing is you never want to touch a wild bird with your hands. We have many germs on our hands that we gather and dont even know it. Especially with you being in a park and touching the birds with hands you maybe touchedd a pole with. If the birds had some bare skin anywhere it could have been killed by germs. Its best next time you find a wild bird to contact a wildlife rehabilitator so it doesnt cost the birds life.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am

Another thing is you never want to touch a wild bird with your hands.

That's not entirely true.

I now have a better idea of what happened though. I've been seeing a bunch of squirrels near that pen lately. I think one managed to get in there. I should have put it in the other pen as it is way more secure.
I believe this is and was the only danger to the bird in the condition it was in. It was very healthy. Grown enough it could eat and drink on its own. It wouldn't have taken any effort to get it flying and on its own. But unfortunately it didn't work out that way.
I've only found two rehabilitators in this area and neither messed with birds. You'd think it would be easier to find people that dealt with birds than anything else, considering how common this sort of thing is.

Anyway... if it wasn't for a predator getting to it, I have complete confidence this would have worked out better.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Millipede i can more than promise you that you cannot touch a bird with your hand. The only time you can touch a bird with your hands is if you wash them or use antibacterial hand sanitizer. I raised baby cockatiels before and if you touch a bird with your hands not clean or disinfected it will kill them. Id do some studying next time before you put a birds life in danger.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon May 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Id do some studying next time before you put a birds life in danger.

I'm sorry CB, but you are wrong. Just touching a bird is not going to kill it.
And I am a bit insulted that you are basically calling me ignorant here. I know plenty about birds. People touch birds, even young ones, all the time. In fact, if you find a baby bird on the ground that has fallen out of a nest, the BEST thing for you to do is see if you can get it back in the nest. And it is OK to use your hands to do this.
And this bird was not a bare bodied baby. It was fully feathered and would soon have been flying.
Trust me... I did not endanger it just by touching it.
Maybe baby cockatiels are more sensitive or something, but trust me on this. The bird was not in danger because I touched it. I do know what I am saying.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 pm

All i can say is see for yourself.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/advice3.htm

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Birds”