Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

a few other bird sightings

For your feathery neighbors
Jackie
germinating

Re: a few other bird sightings

Postby Jackie » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 pm

I haven't seen a roadrunner since I saw that one, and that was about 10 years ago probably. We got some bird seed the other day so hopefully some new birds will start showing up....unless the grosbeaks pig out on the feeder again. lol

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: a few other bird sightings

Postby millipede » Sat May 03, 2008 1:46 pm

well, I keep seeing more and more birds. I need to clean my windows today to help get some better pictures... but I should be getting some decent pictures soon, of the indigo bunting. There's a ton around lately, and they're visiting my feeder that's real close to the house. Beautiful birds they are. I saw the red-breasted grosbeak again the other day, and this time I had the chance to show my daughters.

Today, I saw a few more birds that I wasn't so familiar with. Only one out of the three am I sure what it was, thanks to my bird book.
The first bird I saw , I never got a good enough look at. It was flying around the grass along with the indigo buntings. It had a lot of red on it. I can only guess that it was a scarlet tanager, though I'm not sure. I'm hoping to see it again to get a better look at it.
The second bird I saw, I saw two. After seeing both I could tell which was the male. They both had some streaks on their breast and a little yellow area back near the start of their tail. But the second one I saw also had a yellow spot on the side. After looking it up, I determined it's a yellow rumped warbler. It's not found here in summer or winter. It's winter habitat is south of here and its summer habitat is north of here. Either it's a little out of its range or it is simply passing through, which is most likely.

The third bird I saw, I'm not sure what it was. It was mostly black with a reddish brownish color on the sides and on the back. It's a bird I know somewhere in my head... I've seen it in a picture somewhere but I just can't place it. There's a few birds in my book that look similar, but I'm waiting to see it again to get a better look.

Hmm... While typing this out I saw one of those orioles at the top of our walnut tree. Too far away to get a good picture, or so I thought. I was sitting here thinking, it sure would be nice to have a better zoom on this camera... like a super zoom. The optical zoom on this camera is 10x, which is pretty nice... but for stuff that far away, it isn't amazing. So, just to try it out I turned up the digital zoom on top of it. Before I clicked, the picture was HORRIBLY pixelated. But after I snapped it, it didn't look half bad. If I have time later I'll try to get some pictures on here. I just LOVE watching these birds. :D

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Birds”