We look forward to meeting you... :)

a few other bird sightings

For your feathery neighbors
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

a few other bird sightings

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I have my computer right next to a window so I'm always looking outside. Quite often I'm staring out the window while typing.
Anyway, I've seen a few birds lately that I don't see often. Unfortunately I don't have pictures yet and I'm not sure I'll get any.

One day I saw a baltimore oriel. Beautiful birds...
That one was easy to identify.
Then a day or two later I saw another interesting bird that I had never seen before. It was high up in a tree so I had to use my binoculars to see it. Black on the back and this red breast, like really red. I had to open up my bird book to see what it was as I'd never seen one before.
Turns out it was a red-breasted grosbeak. The range map in the book shows they spend their summers north of here, not quite in this area. So... it's quite possible that this was a one time sighting of this bird traveling north.

Anyway... I'm really loving the birds you can see around here. I really enjoy watching them.
One of these days I'll get more pictures of them too.

C_B
germinating

Re: a few other bird sightings

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:43 pm

I wish i had some rare birds fly through... All i get is Blue Jays, Cardinals, Sparrows, Wrens, Bluebirds, Mocking Bird, Just your everyday bird. I did have this very intresting bird about a couple of year ago build a hanging basket nest! It was AWSOME! I wanted to get it down when the leaves fell off the tree but by then the nest had fallen apart. :cry: I keep my eyes out...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:07 am

definitely keep your eyes open... there's lots of things flying around all the time, or even just sitting there in a tree or in the brush, that get overlooked all the time.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 am

I usually just see the everyday birds too...I have seen some baltimore orioles before; they really are pretty.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 am

I'll have to try and get a picture of some indigo buntings for you. They are beautiful.

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:14 am

I saw a red breasted grosbeak last year, too! We had never seen one here before and it visited a few times. I had to look online to find out what it was. lol Our usual grosbeaks have been hanging around the last few weeks so maybe the others will come back. We also have orioles, but their name escapes me... I need to dig out my book I guess. lol Those yellow birds sure do stick out in the trees. Well, not the lemon trees because they just look like lemons. :lol: Hmm I sound so unprofessional...making me want to find that book.

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:20 am

Ok, I found it. :lol:
Hooded Orioles
Black-headed Grosbeaks
We used to get Western Tanagers, but the last sighting we have recorded was 1994. :? They're so colorful. I miss them!
I also saw a Roadrunner once, when I was little. I was surprised it didn't look like the one in the cartoons.... :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:12 pm

plenty of road runners around here. I'll even see a pair running around together sometimes. They love it out of town... but, they're one animal that will find it harder and harder to live as towns spread out further into the country.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:53 pm

I would love to see a real roadrunner...we don't have any around here!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:48 pm

now that I have a camera with a better zoom, hopefully I can get some better road runner pictures.
I did manage to get a few pictures of an indigo bunting today... but I don't feel like getting them off the camera right now, and I'm going to try to get some better pictures tomorrow. This one was at my feeder... I expect to see him lots more.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Birds”