We look forward to meeting you... :)

The Green Heron

For your feathery neighbors
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

The Green Heron

Postby millipede » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Last year we had a pair that had a nest somewhere in the woods behind our place. I never did find out where, but I knew it was back there. Every single day I'd see them fly the same pattern across my yard. They're interesting birds. BIG, and pretty. Not as big as the great blue heron, but still quite interesting.

Well today I was outside TRYING to do a little yard work. I say trying because I get distracted easily. Well I had stopped for one reason or another, and decided to walk to the front of the yard and part way down the driveway. I enjoy just looking around at all the plants and animals.
Well.. I saw big bird with what looked like red on the tail flying around the front of the yard, down at the road actually. But then as it circled back up into my yard I saw it wasn't a red tail, it was some bright colored legs. You see, some birds hold their feet way up while they're flying, and you don't really see them until they come down for a landing. But other birds, their legs just kind of hang behind them.
Anyway, once it was in the clear I could tell it was a green heron and I watched it fly across the yard to a tree. I froze and just watched it, and it watched me.
Then.....

I heard this weird peep back over where this bird had flown FROM. I knew it just had to be its mate. Well, the one I was watching flew back down and around and back over to where I heard the noise from. Sure enough, there was another one hiding over there in our cedar trees.
I tried to have my wife and my girls sit with me long enough to see one, as they were trying to hide from me... But none of them had the patience. I got a few more glimpses but nobody else did. They all got to hear the same peeping noise I did. (not sure how to describe their call).
Anyway... I watched, and they got a little nervous and flew around a bit... but, stuck to that area. I just know their making a nest over there. One that got scared and left one tree, after I walked away and came back it was back in that same tree. So, I have a good idea of exactly where the nest would be... but I don't want to get too close and mess things up.

Now... there is one downside, as excited as I am about this... I was going to move my driveway over to where they are, but I can't do that now. Maybe later in the year, like when they migrate or something. :roll:
Oh well.

Hopefully if they stick around long enough to raise some young, I'll have some time to try and get some pictures. It wont be easy as they're very shy. But knowing where there nest is should help.

dixiechick
germinating

Re: The Green Heron

Postby dixiechick » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I've only seen one green heron - they are shy. And pretty hard to spot, too!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:09 pm

yeah, I imagine if I was out looking for them they'd be quite hard to find. But they're a big more obvious when they fly right through your yard.
I'll have to go take a closer look tomorrow to see if they're still over there. I have a feeling they wont be, but we'll see. That tree is right next to the road. a not so traveled road, but a road just the same. My neighbor would be driving by it every day.
If they do find another spot, I hope they'll still have a flight path through my yard like they did last year.

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:46 pm

:shock: GREEN herons?? We have a bunch of white ones, but no green ones. Send some over! :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 pm

:lol:
They're not quite what I would call green. Do a google search or something... but, they're not quite green. They're different though.
I've been seeing a great blue heron fly over the property just about every day. I wonder where that thing is nesting.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:29 am

I've never heard of green herons...I'll have to look them up too. We see quite a few blue ones around here; I think they are really neat looking
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Jackie
germinating

Postby Jackie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 am

:oops: My bad! I just realized I had two birds mixed up. lol We have blue herons and white EGRETS. Although maybe we have white herons, I dunno. They're both pretty...and still not green. :lol:

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:11 pm

I love blue herons too... but, they're not so hard to find around here... that's why I find the green heron more interesting. We also have egrets, though I don't see those all that often either. I've seen them flying together high in the sky... and I've seen a few in fields with cows.

I went down to that tree today... not sign of the birds, but I did see a pile of sticks in that tree... So, they did at least start a nest. I don't know if they were just down at the river feeding of if they left and found another tree. It would be good if they did move on as they could find a better place... and, then I could work on a driveway over there.
We'll see.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 pm

oh yeah, I've seen white egrets around here too.
I just looked up green herons; they're pretty. I thought they would be bigger than that though...
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I have seen blue herons and egrets! They are so kool! But we only see them around the swamps down here...

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Birds”