Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Green

Discussions on the environment and the impact you have on it.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Green

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Are you green?
I can't believe it has taken so many years, but finally... being "green" is popular. You see it on tv, in stores, everywhere. People are finally waking up and realizing that we NEED to do something to save the planet. We meaning each and every one of us. It's sad that it takes being popular to get people's attention, but I'll just be happy that it's finally happening.

Let's make a list of all the things people can do to help save the planet. Name some things, and I'll add them to the list and we'll see how big of a list we can make.
Then, if anyone thinks it's a decent idea, I'll have a custom profile option for anyone that does a certain number of things on the list.

1. I recycle
2. I don't leave the water running when I brush my teeth
3. I don't make unnecessary trips
4. I plant trees when I can
5. I have a garden to grow some of my own food

Help me make this longer and longer...
Tell us which things you do... and which things you'd like to be better at. :D
We all need to do this together... and, you'll be surprised how much of a difference we can make when we do work together.
Maybe we can even try to keep track of how much stuff we each recycle and stuff, and then we can put it together and see how we do as a team.

C_B
germinating

Re: Green

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Milli i couldnt agree with you more! it seems like going green is getting talked about more and more. Maybe something awsome will hapen in the coming years. I wish Steve was here to see it... I dont do much to save water :oops: I try but there is no recycle place around here and I run water like like 4 or 5 times a day... So i cant really do much to reserve water. I also dont believe in the "greenhouse gases" you are talking about milli by running vehicles. There is no "Global Warming" going on and there most definitely isnt "Global Cooling" going on. As you can tell i dont believe in "Global Warming". People who believe in Global Warming simply dont trust God is in control, they just say that there is no control over the heat so therefore the glaciers will melt and we will all be dead, but did they not see it snowed in one of the hottest places. Thats a long story how i feel about that but thats the best i can do... But I do:

1. Plant trees
2. Provide Nesting places for the birds whos habitats have been destroyed
3. Plant my own vegetables
4. Recycle cans (even though i dont know what im going to do with them

Thats the best i can do... If i think of more ill put them down...

C_B

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 pm

I forgot to add something that we can all do. Use the light bulbs in your house that are spiral they save energy and help the enviroment. Im trying to get my parents to use them. The up side is they last for years! The box says so!

Check this site out.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vin ... glist.html

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:49 pm

I don't want to argue, but global warming does exist. Now, God indeed is in control, and I do not believe that all life is going to perish because of ice melting. In fact, I don't believe any real scientists are saying that. Sea levels will rise a bit, and we will lose a bit of the coasts. But, there's not enough ice to cover the entire planet with water.
But, the gases that factories and vehicles put out do cause damage to the atmosphere and it has been proven that there has been some climate change because of it.
Again, it's not going to destroy the planet completely anytime soon. But, more and more scientists are agreeing that something needs to be done about it.

Cb, you should contact your local trash people to see where there is recycling locally. Our town isn't big, but they have recycling at our transfer station. We bring our recyclable stuff in with the trash and just put it where it goes.

I'm waiting for LED lights to become more popular as I'm not a big fan of those light bulbs you're talking about.
They say they're good, and yes they do save energy. But, they contain mercury. Don't ever break one. AND, it says right on the package that you're supposed to dispose of them properly because of the mercury. that means, you're not supposed to just drop them in the trash, but nobody follows those directions. So, they save electricity but also have harmful effects on the environment.
So, I'm torn on that one. I want to save energy where I can, but I don't want light bulbs with mercury in them.
For now, I do use a few led lights here and there and we just try to make sure we don't have lights on when we don't need them...

I'll copy a few things from that list... and maybe I'll make ours alphabetical like that. Maybe I'll make a page for it too.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:37 pm

I dropped one of those lights the other day outside... Ill have to look up mercury. Ok yes the factories and stuf is harmful but it does not cause climate change. Just because the temperature has went up a couple of degrees doesnt mean we are going into Global Warming. They really cant make up there minds what they want to call it. They called it Global Warming in Summer and it then calls it Global Cooling when its Winter. Hello! Its called SEASONS! I dont believe more and more scientists are believing it because ive read several things like when they talk to them and scientist are saying its nothing big it will go away, which it will...

Sounds good i cant wait to see the list! i found out i have 60 cans at 28 ounces! I also found a recycle company here in Alexandria. So ill see what all they recycle and start saving up!

About the world Flooding again. Now this is what you are supporting if you support Global Warming.

The global warming has led to increase in mean earth surface temperature and thus melting of polar ice. There are frequent melt down of glaciers that result in floods and other natural calamities. The melting of ice at the poles had led the mean sea level. And further increase in temperature may further melt the ice and lead to further increase in mean sea level, which will engulf low lying countries.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:34 pm

hmmm... as I said, I don't really want to argue it...
But...
By saying global warming is happening, that doesn't mean I support it. And it doesn't mean that I believe it will cause the world to end.
The FACT is that what we humans do does indeed affect the environment, and that does include things like weather. I've never heard anyone mention global cooling before. Never.
All in all, the science, as in actual data, recorded data... shows that there has been an increase in the worlds mean temperature. "mean" means average basically. If you took all the temperatures of the earth and calculated it to have ONE number represent the average temperature on earth, that number has been on the rise.
But, I will say that it is SLOW. Yes, there are nuts that are extreme about it. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that the climate is changing a bit. The ice on both poles IS melting faster than it was 100 years ago. They have data that proves this.
They also know for fact now that if all the ice on earth were to melt, it would not flood the entire planet.
The quote you gave mentioned low lying countries. Some countries are VERY low. Some are below sea level. So a rise, even a small one, in sea level would be REAL bad for those countries.

The amount of pollution that goes on as a whole is far more than you could ever imagine, and more than you know about.
I'm not arguing over the whole global warming thing, but you do not know enough about it to say for fact that our pollution does not impact climate.

Sea level... it is rising... that much is indeed fact, but that does not mean that anyone out there actually believes the entire world will flood.

If you have facts that back up your claims please share them.

But ANYWAY....
We can agree that we need to take better care of the place?

Glad you found a recycling place. You'll be surprised how much stuff you can keep out of the garbage. It ads up quickly.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Alright... Please read this before replying to this topic again...
It is fact that the temperature of the earth is rising. There is debate on both sides as to what causes this, BUT it is FACT, and I can show you data, that proves the temperature is on the rise.

However... at no time in my first post did I mention global warming. That is NOT what this topic is to be about, and so it stops now. Feel free to start up another topic if you want to discuss that further.

I mentioned not taking unneeded trips in my car. Fact is, cars DO pollute very much. That effects everyone in many ways regardless of your beliefs on global warming. Pollution is pollution.
Not only do cars pollute, but taking trips that aren't necessary is wasteful. And for me, I can't afford to be wasteful especially with how high gas prices are these days.

At any rate. It is my belief that humans are harming this planet in way too many ways. It's more than a belief. But however you want to view it, that is what this topic is about. What can we do as humans to help things not be as bad...
Can we cut down on pollution? Can we cut back on energy consumption?
there is a lot we can do and that is ALL this topic is to be about.

Sorry if that sounds blunt, but I just don't want this topic going any further off track.
Again, if you want to discuss climate change further, please start another topic for it.
Thanks.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:22 pm

Ok, you can delete this if you want but i just want to say that yes there is alot of stuff that is polluting the air but sitting here complaining about it is not going to stop it. We have to get out there and stop it. But nowdays if you try telling someone about something like that now they will think you are crazy... At least we are headed in the right direction and maybe in the future (if the Lord doesnt come back) our children will see the results of what the Go green has done! I didnt mean for it to go into an argument but i just dont like the idea of Global Warming. The first thing that pops in my mind is PETA because they are the ones who made a big deal out of it. Another subject in itself :roll: ...

My dad started working at a college here as Vice President and they are planning on going paperless! Thats like great and maybe if they start that alot of other colleges will follow and that will cut down on the cut down of trees!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

but sitting here complaining about it is not going to stop it.

You're right about that. But, we're not going to sit and complain... we're going to discuss what we as individuals can do... and then, do them. By talking about it, we can come up with ways we might not have thought of yet.
Speaking of that... I'll try to work on a page/list tomorrow... but number one on the list is going to be something like "spread the word".
Hopefully we can come up with a real good list, encourage each other to do our part, and to spread the word.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Wow...I don't ge on here for a few days and a whole topic blows up!!! :lol:

I agree that we need to do more to save our planet...people waste so much nowadays!! Its really sad :cry: I can't think of anything to add to what y'all have already listed, but I do quite a bit of that...except recycling...I don't really do that very much :oops: I do try to save water sometimes...when I give my chickens fresh water I pour the old on trees and plants; every bit helps.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “The Environment and You”