1/2 cups okra, fresh or frozen, optional
1 can diced tomatoes OR 4 large tomatoes, diced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt

In a large bowl, mix tomato paste with broth or water until smooth and set aside. In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, celery and green pepper until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add uncooked rice and allow rice to toast for one minute, stirring. Add tomato and broth mixture. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a separate skillet, sauté the okra and carrots until just barely cooked, about 3-5 minutes.

After the rice has cooked about 10 minutes, add the sautéed veggies, spices and diced tomatoes, stirring well. Cover, and allow to simmer 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are fully cooked and rice is soft. Serve with hot sauce and sour cream if desired, and enjoy!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: Vegetarian Jambalaya

Postby millipede » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:47 am

mmm that sounds really good too...
I have a question though. What ingredients are involved to make a dish Jambalaya? I've heard of it many times over the years, but I am not sure of what you need for it to be jambalaya. Such an odd word... makes me wonder where it came from :lol: :lol: :lol:

keljonma
germinating

Re: Vegetarian Jambalaya

Postby keljonma » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Jambalaya is a spicy southern rice dish with tomatoes and veggies. This vegetarian jambalaya recipe is Creole style, which means that the rice is simmered in tomato paste, rather than just water. Although this recipe calls for carrots and okra, the veggies that you use are really up to you. Eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini or yellow squash would also work great.

I found this on answers.com-
Jambalaya is a versatile dish that combines cooked rice with a variety of ingredients including tomatoes, onion, green peppers and almost any kind of meat, poultry or shellfish. The dish varies widely from cook to cook.

It's thought that the name derives from the French jambon, meaning "ham," the main ingredient in many of the first jambalayas.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Main Dishes”