Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

4-H

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

4-H

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Thread Started on Oct 10, 2006

Anybody else a 4-her? I just joined last month. I'm gonna show market lambs, (hopefully!)

Just curious.... :)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: 4-H

Postby millipede » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:31 pm

I was a deprived child... I went to a few 4H fairs when I was a kid... all I remember was looking at animals and playing on some rides... that was a few years ago...
I had no idea what it was all about back then. Maybe, just maybe I'll let my kids get involved in it when they're a bit older...

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:32 pm

I think that would be a great idea, Millipede! :) 4-H is a great way to be involved with your community. The club I'm in does a lot of community services I'm hoping to help out with.

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm in 4-H! I absolutely love it! I show rabbits, chickens, pigeons, goats, and my dogs. Millipede, your kids could show ducks! I do non-livestock stuff too. And our county has retreats, fun stuff, community service, etc. I like 4-H a lot if you can't tell!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 pm

well my oldest is only 5, and even if there are things for her to do at that age, I think I'll wait a few years before I jump into anything like that... When she's older we'll just see what kind of things she's interested in.

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Heather, that is so cool! Sounds like you're really busy! I can hardly wait 'till May, that's when my show will be. And I'm already getting excited about next summer's county fairs! I LOVE county fairs.... ;D

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Your show is in May?! Our county fair is in August, and that's when my shows are!

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, we have a market animal show that's held in May. It's just that... market steers, hogs, and lambs. Hopefully I'll be showing a lamb there. Then in August we have our county fair.

Hey, Heather, just curious... do you have to wear the 4-H uniform when you show?

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:36 pm

4-H uniform? No, I've never even heard of it. We have to wear (for most species) a white shirt...and black or blue pants.

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I've heard that in California they have to wear white pants, a white shirt, green tie and a dorky-looking little white hat. I've seen pics of kids showing lambs with the uniforms on. Thankfully we don't have to wear that in Virginia! It's required at my show to wear nice jeans, a button-down or polo shirt, and boots.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”