Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Honesty

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Honesty

Postby millipede » Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 am

Originally posted on Oct 22, 2006

Where is it these days?
Not long ago I was checking into someone's poultry site. They made a LOT of claims that I just new were not true. Some of the things they offered for sale were identical to lists from a certain hatchery out there, but the prices were higher. They claimed they were a hatchery and hatched like 30,000 chicks a year, by themselves... yet these things they offered were quite obviously NOT theirs. While looking at their site, I could tell the pictures were not their own, so I started looking around and found the exact same pictures on Privett Hatchery. So I emailed Privett and sure enough, it was their pictures and they did not give anyone permission to use them. So now that site I mentioned is temporarily down. That kind of dishonesty just really bothers me. And that's just a small taste of the dishonesty that person used...

Well I was thinking that type of dishonesty occurred mostly in private businesses, the small scale type of stuff. People that I believe just want to do whatever they can to make a few dollars and I guess steal(since it isn't really earned) respect. Well, my heart sank even more just a little while ago...

I bought some quail at an auction today... From what I can tell they are Tibetan which is just a variety of Coturnix. While trying to find decent pictures online I came across Stromberg's website, which I thought was a fairly well respected business. They had a picture of the Tibetan quail, plus a few others... I kept looking at this one other "variety" that I was having a hard time telling specific differences other than the color being a little lighter... then I looked harder and noticed that the two seperate pictures used to represent the two different varieties were in fact the same picture... only the color had been lightened. The shape of the bird, outline, features, how many toes were sticking out from under it, and the background of the image were completely identical... The only difference was in the color and/or lighting in the picture... So basically they just manipulated one picture and used it to show what two different varieties of quail look like. To me, that is quite dishonest and, how can I really tell those two varieties apart if I only have one bird to compare? I was a bit frustrated to say the least, and I emailed them to let them know.
(I plan on posting this little rant on the PYA as soon as it is back up and running)

I then decided to look at Privett Hatchery's pictures to see what they had to look at. I decided to look at guinea pictures to show my wife some of the varieties there are. I clicked on French and was a bit confused... it looked like Pearl to me... so then I went and looked at their pearls... grrr... Same picture, only flipped so the bird and keets are facing the opposite way... I went back and forth and sure enough it was indeed the same photo... So again, how can I tell what different varieties look like if these sites can't show the actually birds? It's really making me mad...

Seriously now, how difficult is it to be honest? I'd rather be an honest poor man than make my living telling lies and misleading people. What can a person do I guess...

dixiechick
germinating

Re: Honesty

Postby dixiechick » Sat May 30, 2009 12:00 pm

I guess just be honest and don't pay attention to those who aren't. I agree that it's frustrating, though - because the dishonest people make life harder for the honest people in lots of ways. If people could just be honest, there wouldn't be the need for lots of regulations and stuff like that (nor those annoying "You have activated the WalMart security system" thingys that will go off even if you're not shoplifting. ;D)

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Wow. That's horrible! People seem to lie all the time with animals. For instance, my little neighbor girl is starting to raise Nigerian Dwarf goats. She had a kid shipped up from Texas and it had a crooked face! I don't know if that was downright lying, but not telling them about it before they bought the goat and had it shipped in isn't exactly telling the truth is it? You can't exactly overlook a crooked face!
People that lie just bug me. They're the ones out here in the small towns doing drugs and vandalizing stuff *rolls eyes* and we're so trusting in our community that people get by with way too much!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Frustrating indeed...

Walmart alarms... I was at a walmart in Massachusetts and the alarm went off when this guy went through... the lady tried telling him she just needed to see his receipt and he said quite angrily that he didn't want to be treated like a criminal and he just walked out the door. I thought that was interesting.

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow....my friend had the Wal*Mart alarm go off on her going INTO the store. I thought it was hilarious.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”