Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Important advice from snopes.com

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
birdman
germinating

Important advice from snopes.com

Postby birdman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 am

By now, I suspect everyone is familiar with www.snopes.com and/or www.truthorfiction.com for determining whether information received via email is just that: true/false or fact/fiction. Both are excellent sites.

From the folks that understand best......Read and heed. Use or lose. Here's some Advice from Snopes.com

MEMORIZE THIS!

1) Any time you see an E-Mail that says forward this on to '10' of your bad luck, good luck, or whatever, it friends, sign this petition, or you'll almost always get has an E-Mail a tracker program attached that tracks the cookies and E-Mails of those folks you forward to. The host sender is getting a copy each time it gets forwarded and then is able to get lists of 'active' E-Mails addresses to use in SPAM E-Mails, or sell to other spammers.

2) Almost all E-Mails that ask you to add your name and forward on to others are similar to that mass letter years ago that asked people to send business cards to the little kid in Florida who wanted to break the Guinness Book of Records for the most cards. All it was, and all any of this type of E-Mail is, is a way to get names and 'cookie' tracking information for telemarketers and spammers - - to validate active E-Mail accounts for their own profitable purposes.

You can do your friends and family members a GREAT favor by sending this information to them; you will be providing a service to your friends, and will be rewarded by not getting thousands of spam E-Mails in the future!

If you have been sending out (FORWARDING) the above kinds of E-Mail, now you know why you get so much SPAM!

Do yourself a favor and STOP adding your name(s) to those types of listings regardless how inviting they might sound!

You may think you are supporting a GREAT cause, but you are NOT in the long run. Instead, you will be getting tons of junk mail later! Plus, we are helping the spammers get rich! Let's don't make it easy for them!

Also: E-Mail petitions are NOT acceptable to Congress or any other organization. To be acceptable, petitions must have a signed signature and full address of the person signing the petition.
Serve God no matter what!

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: Important advice from snopes.com

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm

That's good advice. Those kinds of emails are annoying enough to me so I never send them on.

keljonma
germinating

Postby keljonma » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 am

I really hate the ones promising a miracle from God if you just send the email to 30 of your best friends......

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:11 am

keljonma wrote:I really hate the ones promising a miracle from God if you just send the email to 30 of your best friends......

yeah... and the ones that try to tell you that you're not really a Christian, or you MUST be ashamed if you do not send it. :roll:

I can't believe there are so many people out there sending such garbage around...
Oh well... I read them sometimes if they look halfway interesting... but I RARELY send anything forward...
I asked someone once to not send me such stuff... and I mentioned the Christian ones and stuff. They flipped out, told me they were sick of hearing about Jesus and said they'd never email me again.
I heard not long ago that this person is going back to church again... :D so that's exciting...

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”