Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

thirsty?

I'm sure you have interest in things besides the outdoors...
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

thirsty?

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:22 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080412/ap_ ... 0B.BhxieAA

Well apparently in quite a few cities around the country, you can find traces of pharmaceuticals, as in drugs. Yummy :roll:

The residues come largely from ordinary people who take medications. Their bodies absorb some, but the rest is excreted. Traces of veterinary drugs also are released in farm runoff. Ordinary treatments of wastewater and drinking water do not remove all pharmaceutical residues.

runoff from farms is just part of the problem, but it's something that most people don't ever think about.
That sort of thing is why I don't use pesticides or drugs around here...
People use all sorts of stuff and just don't ever think about it. They think it's harmless in so many ways, but in so many ways it isn't harmless. That stuff doesn't dissipate into the air... it ends up back in the water that we drink... not to mention the wildlife we hurt in the process.
ugh.... :roll:

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Re: thirsty?

Postby Nicki » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm

well that's just wonderful... :roll: It's a wonder that not everybody's sick or something
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Oh wow... I heard about that but didnt think it was true... I guess its a praise neither of us got hurt by it...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Oh, that's not even the half of it.
A while back I posted on the pya about some human waste that is being used for fertilizer. Human waste, as in the "treated" "sludge" that comes from treatment facilities. Basically, all that junk, human waste etc..., goes down the drain... then, it goes to a treatment facility.

Well, what they clean good enough, ends up back in your drinking water... The leftover "sludge" is now being shipped to other states to be used as fertilizer. Fertilizer for FOOD crops :o

And beyond that....... They're now trying to say ("they" includes the EPA) that this "sludge", or the nutrients in it, will bond with lead. So, they go around to poor black neighborhoods (this isn't a joke, for real they do this testing in poor black neighborhoods) and tell some of these poor families that there is lead in their soil. (there very well may be)
They tell them that this lead is harmful if their kids happen to ingest the soil. They tell them that turning this "sludge" into their soil will make the lead safe... that, if the kids eat the soil now the lead will just pass through them instead of being absorbed by their bodies...
In return for this "safe" testing they're giving these poor families food vouchers and a free lawn.

Now... If they can't even get the drinking water completely free of drugs and stuff, then how safe could this "sludge" really be?

Sigh... this is just an example of someone trying to find a way to go dumping that garbage without a permit and without having to pay to do so...... they find some way to make people believe it's a good idea, just so they can do it. :roll:

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm

It's scary what goes on in the world nowadays :shock: Sometimes I wish I lived a couple of hundred years ago...
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:27 pm

yep and yep...
As scary as that is, I'm sure there's plenty of other scary stuff we don't know about... plenty...

and I sure wouldn't mind living here years ago. It would be pretty cool living here before white man ever found the place.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 pm

And you see why i want to grow my own vegetables... That is disgusting milli... I have never even heard of that...

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 pm

yep, grow your own... it's the only way to know for sure what you're eating.

C_B
germinating

Postby C_B » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:03 pm

that and that incredible home grown taste... Nothing can beat it....

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 pm

hmm, all of the sudden I want a salad :lol:

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Porch Talk...”