Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Grits and other grains

feel free to share your healthy recipes... (no junk food here)
silkiecharm
Hi, I'm new

Grits and other grains

Postby silkiecharm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I decided to start this topic since grains can be confusing. Ask your grain questions and lets figure all of this out. I don't feel like I know enough about grains. I have not met a person yet who understands grains really well. We'll all be smarter and healthier from this exercise! SilkieCharm

GRITS - a favorite southern breakfast entree. I have been told that grits are derived from corn. You start with corn, process it into grits. I can't tell you what makes grits different from cornmeal (it is ground corn).
If anybody has notes to add about grits, here is your chance!

Heather_feather
germinating

Re: Grits and other grains

Postby Heather_feather » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:04 pm

*blank stare* I've never heard of grits except when I was at Waffle House in Florida. The lady didn't give a very good explanation of what they were, so I have yet to figure out what these 'grits' things are.

keljonma
germinating

Re: Grits and other grains

Postby keljonma » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:06 pm

http://www.grits.com/

Grit is broken grains of corn and cornmeal is more finely ground.

The above site will answer all your grits questions.... and even tell you how to make a pitcher of sweet southern iced tea (I love grits, but hate sweet tea).

I grew up in NE Ohio and hot grain/cereal of any kind meant homemade butter and maple syrup or honey and plenty of milk on top. But, I lived NW of Houston, Texas for 15 years and found I like grits with cheese too. I especially like grits with home grown fried eggs these days. (I think I just heard Millipede and Mary Kay cringe! :D )

Heather, Awful House grits aren't the best, you didn't miss much.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Eating healthy...”