Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

What's this catapillar?

Got a great nature photo? Why not share it with us?
dixiechick
germinating

What's this catapillar?

Postby dixiechick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:06 pm

originally posted Nov 9, 2006

I've found a couple of these "wooly boogers" this year - the only thing that makes them stand out is that they're HUGE! Here's a pic of one that's balled up:

It was probably 4 inches long when it wasn't balled up. I wanted a picture to show its whole length, but I had to move it so I could take the picture, and it rolled up on me. Those critters won't move once they're rolled, either!

So, does anybody know what they turn into? (Bats, maybe? ??? ;D)

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Re: What's this catapillar?

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:07 pm

wooly boogers?
How would you like to research a little yourself? :D
It would be safe to call it a wooly bear caterpillar. It will be some member of the tiger moth family.
Check out THIS LINK. It lists the butterflies and moths in your area ;)
Scroll down to "Tiger Moths". Then, if you want, you can research each of those listed to see what their caterpillars look like... but it is Definitely one of them.

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm going to check that out!

Come on, you've never heard of a woolly booger?!

dixiechick
germinating

Postby dixiechick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:10 pm

That was a cool site! Only thing is, it didn't have any caterpillars on it. But I found it somewhere else.

It's a Giant Leopard Moth. (I think.) This Page http://odolep.com/Moths/ARCTIIDAE/ARCTIIDAE.htm has pictures of them. I think I have seen something like that before.

Interesting stuff! I could have done it on my own, I guess, but you got me started! And now we may have both learned something. :)

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:10 pm

We call those wooly bears. Missy put some in an aquarium, and they make hideous little caccoons.

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Leopard Moth eh? It is possible. I've actually hatched one of those before. The page I gave is GREAT, but it doesn't have complete account lists for each species. The Great Leopard Moth was listed on the page I mentioned. Like I said, it is a type of tiger moth. There's a few caterpillars in the tiger moth family that are just so similar it is hard to tell them apart, unless you're someone who REALLY studies them.
I knew they didn't have caterpillar pictures... I was suggesting (though I didn't explain very well) that you use the names listed in the tiger moth family on that page and search the net for caterpillars of each.
Anyway... The time I hatched one of those I was in college. I had found the thing crawling across the campus parking lot.

"wooly boogers" sounds VERY much like a Southern saying. I just can't bring myself to saying something that sounds so silly... no offense :P
Although, I was going to ask if maybe you were all breathing tooooooo deeply while looking at heather's rabbits... Let me know if you don't get that one... think about it for a moment.

It is safe to call them wooly bears Heather, as some are indeed actually called wooly bear caterpillars and wooly bear moths. Also part of the tiger moth family. There's just a few that look fairly similar at that stage, but it's safe to just call them wooly bears...
Sounds much better than wooly boogers. I guess you're not the only one who talks funny Heather

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Ugh, Millipede! How dare you pick on our southern heritage! >:( ::) :P J/K

That's funny, my aunt called my cousin "Woolly Booger" because he grew a beard, lol. He didn't appricate it much. ::)

Heather_feather
germinating

Postby Heather_feather » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Haha, I have a few "wooly boogers" running around my barn ^_^

VirginiaCowgirl
germinating

Postby VirginiaCowgirl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Goats? lol :lol:

Heather_feather
germinating