Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Rosy Maple Moth

Got a great nature photo? Why not share it with us?
Heather_feather
germinating

Re: Rosy Maple Moth

Postby Heather_feather » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 am

Wow! That is pretty! Can you find them in Minnesota?

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 am

Minnesota? Sure...
Here's some good info on them, http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3351
The range info mentions they are found into Minnesota, but the map doesn't show them there. That map isn't quite up to date... but you could very well find them there.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Wow! I have never seen a moth like that before...it's absolutely gorgeous!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:18 pm

You'd be surprised at some of the interesting moths out there. I sure was the first time I saw one of these. We saw just one or two a year for a while... now we might see a few more but..... we also find their caterpillars every year now. So last year and this year, we hatched a few out. As the name might suggest, they eat maple. I've got a silver maple near the house that has had a lot of caterpillars on it the past few years. We really enjoy raising them... my kids and I.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:11 am

I love caterpillars! I especially like the fuzzy ones :)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6~

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:58 pm

We like the fuzzy ones as well. My daughter likes the sycamore tussock moth caterpillar. They're pretty fuzzy... SOFT fuzzy. We've found a few that looked like a big ball of hair... so much you could hardly tell there was a bug in there.
One of our favorite caterpillars is the spicebush swallowtail. I've got a picture of one somewhere on here. They're neat and they eat sassafrass.
This year we found one called a curve lined owlet. That caterpillar was really weird looking. There's so many we like to collect, too many to mention. :)

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:53 am

I found a caterpillar yesterday while my husband was fishing; it was bright green but I didn't know what kind it was so I looked it up online after church last night. It was a Polyphemus Moth caterpillar. My husband took a picture of it on his phone, but I don't have that with me to post on here so here's a link showing what they look like:

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/spec ... polyphemus

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Oh those are cool. I've found a couple of those moths around here. They are HUGE.

Nicki
germinating
United States of America

Postby Nicki » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Yep, he was a fat fella! LOL

millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Postby millipede » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm

I was actually referring to the moth... their wingspan is around 5 inches. Real big... but I bet the caterpillars are a good size as well. There's a few that are similar and we've caught a few like that but I'm not entirely sure if we've caught that particular one or not.

This past summer we were at a local creek with some people from our homeschool group and someone found a hickory horned devil... that's the name of a caterpillar for the regal moth. That caterpillar was HUMONGOUS... never saw anything like it. hmm... I'm surprised I don't have any pictures of it on here or facebook...... (I love taking pictures... not always fond of uploading them)

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Nature Photography”