Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

Cornerstone

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

Cornerstone

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am

It is interesting how a person gets to thinking about something sometimes. The reason I started thinking about this is definitely an interesting one.
My father founded a Christian motorcycle club many years ago called Seed of Abraham. It was something I always thought was pretty cool and was proud of. That motorcycle club grew and grew and they have members in more than half a dozen states as well as a chapter in New Zealand. God has done some great things through this ministry.
After many years of service, well things change and my dad has since moved on to another ministry. While I don't know all the details and think it's kind of sad and wrong that he's no longer part of that ministry, you can't deny that God has plans for us that don't always lead us where we might have thought. So now my dad is a member of Cornerstone Motorcycle Ministry. His purpose and mission in life have not changed, simply the colors on his back... which is where all this thinking started...
You see, I am a very opinionated person... I have a bit of OCD... and, I have a REAL hard time with change. So, there was a bit of shock for me when things changed for my father. And as trivial as it may be, the change of those colors upset me a little. I don't really know if it was mostly because the colors(that is, the patch) for Seed of Abraham was something my dad put a lot of work into... or, that I always LOVED it... but, change is sometimes just uncomfortable for me. I can say, ashamedly, that to at least a small extent... I didn't think the patch for Cornerstone was as "cool" as the Seed's.
For anyone reading that doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a couple images.
Here is a link to a picture showing Seed of Abraham MC's colors... (that's some wings behind a cross behind a star of David... )
http://soamc.org/albums/album02/Seed_n_ ... 11_012.jpg

And here is a link to Cornerstone's colors... (if the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting)(A cross behind a motorcycle)
http://shoutingthomas.typepad.com/.a/6a ... 6b9970b-pi

These new colors my dad is wearing aren't bad... It just didn't SEEM as cool to me. A dumb thing to dwell on for sure... but, that's how my mind works sometimes. :roll:
So, on one or two occasions I have found myself looking at google images for "cornerstone" to see if I could come up with ideas for something "cooler". It's rather silly of me to do so since I have NO actual ties to the group. It's not like they're looking for a new design... I've just been my OCD self or something.
At any rate... when I have done some looking, I haven't found anything that jumped out at me for brilliant ideas. I haven't put much effort into it as I do know it's kind of trivial...
I cannot say why but this morning I woke up and decided to look. I really cannot remember what brought it to mind but I found myself looking at images again this morning. Odd.
Once again not finding much to look at... I started paying attention to the images I saw. All of these "cornerstones" were not exactly REAL cornerstones... but, decorative pieces. I stopped and asked myself "what EXACTLY is a cornerstone anyway?"
I've always had some idea as I've read bible verses where it mentions Jesus as THE cornerstone... But what EXACTLY did that mean? So, I types in "cornerstone" and clicked on wikipedia's article about it.
When I read the first sentence of it I had one of those "Ah ha" moments... Read this with me...
The cornerstone (or foundation stone) concept is derived from the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation, important since all other stones will be set in reference to this stone, thus determining the position of the entire structure.

This sentence set all sorts of thoughts into motion in my head. But first... Verses...
A quick search on bible gateway shows several verses about "corner stone"
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch ... ersion=KJV
MOST of these verses simply mention Jesus as BEING the cornerstone... but with little else explaining WHAT that means to us.
But at least one verse, written also about Jesus but in the OT, gives at least a little better explanation(I think).
Isaiah 28:16(KJV)
Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Isaiah 28:16(NIV)
So this is what the Sovereign Lord says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who relies on it
will never be stricken with panic.

With all the verses, especially the ones spoken BY Jesus, it's easy to see that Jesus IS this corner stone.
Now, this "Ah ha" moment has a lot to do with what I always thought about this whole idea. Or, what little thought I ever actually put into it. Jesus is the cornerstone... to me, that has always meant that he's supposed to be most important, etc etc... I don't know about other people, but I have a feeling I'm not alone in the lack of thought about such things. My idea was that as long as Jesus was PART of my life... part of my "structure", etc... then everything was okay. I honestly believe that that is how a LOT of people think. It sure is how a LOT of people act. Yes, Christians "worship" Jesus... they go to church, sing songs, maybe even read their bible. And for many, that is enough. In doing all that, Jesus is now our corner stone... Really? Is that what a corner stone is about?
I had a dream once, if I wasn't worried about the length of this I'd share the whole thing... I was in a temple/building that was falling apart. Someone asked me if the stone by the altar was still there and in one piece. It was, so they said then everything was okay. There's a lot more to it but, in the dream that temple was ME and that stone was Jesus. Even though the rest of the temple/building seemed to be crumbling, Jesus was still there as part of my life.
For most of us, I do believe this is how we live. We "allow" Christ to be a PART of our lives and everything else is built up around it. But... What of all that other stuff?
Back to this real meaning of a corner stone... When you're building a foundation wall you DO start in a corner... but, you do NOT just slap it in place, call it good, and build up the rest of the wall all willie nilly.(I'm not sure I've ever used that phrase before but I couldn't think of another way to put it).
When you're building a wall, you MEASURE things. EVERYTHING has to be level and square. And... you do ALL of your measuring off of that corner stone. Back to the definition from wiki
all other stones will be set in reference to this stone

ALL other stones.
Now stop and think about YOUR life... and EVERYTHING in it. Everything from your attitude to your spending habits to what movies you watch and music you listen to and... and... EVERYTHING!!!!!!
EVERY last part of WHO YOU ARE... Do you measure EVERY last part off of that reference point? That is, Jesus... ? That is the purpose of a corner stone. It is NOT a decoration... It doesn't hold the whole wall in place... But without measuring EVERYTHING from that reference point, you'll end up with uneven and un-level walls. That is NOT how you want to build a structure.
If you hired some men to lay a foundation for a new house, you would want them to measure in such ways. You would want everything JUST right... You would NOT want them just slapping things together without such careful measuring.
The same SHOULD be true for all of us in our lives. It is GOOD and IMPORTANT for Christ to be a PART of our lives. If he is part of your foundation, that is just awesome.
But if you want straight walls... If you want a SOLID and secure foundation... one that will not be shaken... you need to measure every aspect of your life against that cornerstone, that is Jesus.
I'm going to be honest and say, I don't always do that. I am, after all, a human and prone to sin. But I must admit that I do not measure every aspect and every choice I make against my Jesus.
One last thought about this corner stone idea. The corner stone is the stone that is laid FIRST. You don't just take a pile of stones and dump them out into a pile. That corner stone is what is laid first... so now comes the question... IS Christ the corner stone in your life? Does he come first in your life? And again, is everything measured by Him?
Some things to really think about if you ask me. I know it's something that I intend to think and pray more about.
So now... while it was quite silly of me to spend ANY time thinking about a club I'm not part of and thinking they need new colors... I can honestly say, I am glad it is something that I did think about.
I'll close this out with the verse that Cornerstone Motorcycle Ministry lives by...
2 Corinthians 4:1-7(KJV)

1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”