Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

December 13, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

December 13, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Ecclesiastes 3:4
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

There is a season for everything. This past week my aunt and uncle lost their oldest daughter. She was just 20 years old. I thought I'd honor her memory by looking at a little of what the bible says about mourning.
Ecclesiastes points out that there is a time to mourn. Some people do not like to mourn. From what I have seen, holding onto hurt emotions can leave a person bitter and hardened. That is why mourning is an important part of life. It allows us to let go and it allows us to really celebrate the life remembered.
Throughout the bible there were many losses and the people of those days always took the time to mourn. They took mourning seriously and even had rituals that went along with it. Let's look at a few places where people mourned.

Genesis 37:33-35
33 And he knew it, and said, It is my son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured him; Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces.
34 And Jacob rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days.
35 And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

This is when Jacob though his youngest and favorite son had been killed.

Deuteronomy 34:8
And the children of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended.

A lot of people took a whole 30 days to weep for Moses.

2 Samuel 18:32-33
32 And the king said unto Cushi, Is the young man Absalom safe? And Cushi answered, The enemies of my lord the king, and all that rise against thee to do thee hurt, be as that young man is.
33 And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!

This man loved his son so much he would rather have died for him. There is no greater love on this earth than the love a parent has for their children.

John 11:33-36
33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.
34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
35 Jesus wept.
36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

Jesus wept. This is when Lazarus had died. There was no greater man that ever walked the face of the earth and He was not to proud to cry. Weeping is a natural response to a loss. It is part of the grieving process. It is okay to cry so don't hold the tears back in times of mourning.

While many people in biblical times had their ways of mourning I personally do not believe there is any set way a person needs to grieve. The important thing is that you do take the time to mourn and let go.
In our lives we will have troubles. We will suffer losses. Please take the time to grieve and remember. It's impossible to forget the loss of a child. While many of you reading this will never have to go through such a trial, you will have trials and you will have losses. If you hold your emotions in you will become bitter and hardened. You will forever remember that loss with pain and suffering. If you can allow yourself to let go and FEEL and grieve, the process will become easier and in time you will be able to focus more on cherishing your memories. You will be able to look back upon the life lost with memories of joy.
There is a time to weep and a time to dance. Make sure you take the time to do both, in their time.

I'd like to close with a verse that I hope will bring you hope.
Revelation 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Dear Lord, thank you for today. Thank you for all your wonderful blessings. Father God I want to lift up my aunt and uncle and their children as they take the time to grieve the loss of their daughter. I pray they would turn to you for comfort. I pray that they will rely on each other, their family, and their friends for strength. I pray that you would comfort them. I pray that you would speak to them through the people around them. Please just hold them in your arms and let them feel your love. I pray also for the close friends she left behind. I pray that you would comfort them also. Thank you Lord for the time she had here on this earth and thank you for all the joy she brought and the lives she touched. She will always be remembered.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”