Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

November 29, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

November 29, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Proverbs 1:1-7
1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

I had a hard time choosing what to write on today. I started leaning towards something from Proverbs and started at the beginning. It might seem weird to write or read something like this but I find it pretty interesting. I don't know how every single book of the bible starts but offhand I can't think of any others that start out with a purpose explained like this.
I think most of us know that proverbs is full of wisdom. I appreciate the stuff I find in there very much.
The first verse simply explains who the author is which is nice to have the facts on.
Verses 2-4 start with "To" and are very much an explanation of the purpose of the book of Proverbs. Just read over that description. You can tell that this is a handy book to have knowledge of.
Verses 5 and 6; A wise man will hear and will increase in learning.... Basically, a wise man will hear the words in this book and learn from them while a fool will not. There is much wisdom in the book of Proverbs and in order to understand it all one must be wise. This book is written to help men become more wise. Study it well.
The fear of the Lord...... I don't always fully comprehend the meaning of this saying but I do know it is important. It's hard to think of the Lord as one to be feared but in all honesty He truly is. He is ALL powerful and ALL knowing. Only He has the power to give life or take it away. Only He has the power to forgive sins. I think our picture of Him as a loving, caring being makes it difficult to see Him as one to fear. But if we could stop for a minute and think upon His awesomeness... If we could honestly comprehend just who He is and how powerful He is, it really would be difficult not to have some amount of fear of Him. I think if He was standing before me right now I would tremble. It is wise to fear the Lord. Why is it wise? Well I know this... that knowing just who He is and how Awesome and powerful He is Should make us realize how important His teachings are to us. It should make us realize and understand a lot of things. Without this fear of Him we would not seek to know more about Him and we would have no fear of breaking any of His commandments. So I can see fairly well now how the fear of the Lord is considered the beginning of knowledge.
Last part; "fools despise wisdom and instruction"
Many people do not like to be told what to do. Many people do not want to learn this wisdom. It is indeed foolish to be like this for the consequences are great.
I hope as we study the book of proverbs we will take it all seriously and really learn from it.

Dear Lord, thank you for today. Thank you for your many blessings. Thank you for being who you are Lord. Thank you for creating us and thank you for saving us even while we were still sinners. I pray that we will always remember just who you are and how much that means to us. I pray that we will use the knowledge of who you are to grow our faith and our wisdom of you. I pray that we will not be found as fools and that we would be open to your wisdom and correction.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”