Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

November 1, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

November 1, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:49 pm

I can do all things?

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

This passage is quoted quite often and for good reason. Even though it is quoted all the time I still find many people doubting their abilities. I've met people that doubt that they are able to do things whether for themselves or for the Kingdom. I've met older folks that think they're too old to accomplish certain things in their life. I've met some that wished they learned an instrument or took art lessons, and things like that. And they feel they are too old to do anything about it now.
It's easy to think about such people and want to reach out and just tell them that you are never too old. God can accomplish all things through you, so why do you think you can't accomplish something... It might be easy to see this, as well as other things, in other people but, it's not as easy to face when you're the one facing it. It is real easy to get down about yourself and doubt yourself. It's real easy to think that you can't accomplish anything or that you have no impact on others.
But there is hope. as this verse says, you can do all things through Christ who gives you strength.
What about this strength? Have you ever felt God's awesome strength move? If you haven't, I promise you can. Starting off isn't easy as far as faith goes, but as far as actual action, starting out is easy.
The very first thing you need to do is seek God and ask Him for strength. Is He not God, the all mighty that created you? Is He not all powerful? Is He not able to give you strength if He wants to? God created the heavens and the earth. He created all life as we know it and He created you and I... I think He is big enough to give us a little strength when we need it.
After we ask God for strength the next thing we need to do is trust Him.
Exodus 3:11-12
11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"
12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you [a] will worship God on this mountain."

Here's a good example of God's awesome strength. Here also is a good example of man's weakness and doubting. Moses asked "who am I" as he really didn't think this was something he could do. Think about it... it was a pretty radical idea to go and free God's people from Egypt. Pharaoh was powerful and going against him could get you killed. Having lived there, this was something Moses knew firsthand. Could you imagine the strength and faith it would take to accept such a task? I know I too would be asking "who me?" If you don't know the whole story please read the accounts in the book of Exodus. But many of us know what happened. Through Moses, God freed His people. He used a single person to accomplish something great. God's people were freed from Egypt.
Now what would have happened if Moses dragged his feet and just couldn't accept the task because he didn't believe he could do it? For one thing, he'd be stuck in a state of helplessness..
Ever feel helpless? Does it feel good? Want to get out of that place? This might sound corny but, in order to get out of that place of helplessness you need to rise and accept the challenge.
Whatever it is you long to do with your life, if it is something you think about a lot and a noble cause then there is no reason not to try it. Seek God, pray, ask Him for strength, and then GO... Go and do. If it is in God's will, He'll take care of the rest.
But... I am weak... I can't do that... it's too hard...
sound familiar?
The first thing I need to say about such thoughts is that it is only satan trying to prevent God's awesome work from happening. Satan will do and say anything to get you to fail. Do not let him have power over you.
The second thing I want to say about that is that our strength, our own personal strength, is like the story of the talents. The story of the men that were entrusted a certain amount of money. Two men invested it and earned more money. The third man buried the money given to him. The first two men were rewarded for their faithfulness with more money to see over. The third man had his money taken away from him.
This is true with strength as well. We feel like we have little and we don't have enough to face what we might need to. Start off, as I said before, seeking God. He WILL hear you. Then trust and do. You will be given the strength you need when you need it. At first you will be resting entirely upon God's strength. But the more you trust Him, the more you accomplish. The more you accomplish for Him, the better you'll get at it and the stronger you will become.
Now, don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying that you'll survive entirely on your own strength. There is no room for pride here. We'll never be able to survive without God... But, we will be able to face SO much more if we trust and develop our own strength.

The very first time I picked up a guitar I could not play a single chord. It was tough. A year or so later I was goofing off on a guitar and someone suggested they needed to teach me how to play. I of course said that I could not learn. I had tried before and it was too hard. Not a week later I was stumbling through my first song... and only a few months later I was leading worship for my sunday school class. At first I had to rely on the other person trying to teach me. I had to trust them. Not only did I have to get their help but I also had to just try. I couldn't sit there and not do anything. I would not have learned a thing had I continued to approach the guitar with fear. I had to take the steps and actually play even if I sounded horrible at first.
This may seem silly for an analogy but it fits perfectly. God is our teacher. He wants us to be brave and trust Him. As we trust Him and actually get out there and do things we will find ourselves developing our own strengths and abilities.
We often think of that passage and believe that God is going to do all the work for us. The truth is we need to step out in faith and do the work ourselves. God will give us the strength as we need it, according to His will.

So, whether you want to learn how to play guitar, paint, witness to other people, be a preacher or a teacher, or whatever it is that has been laid upon your heart... Don't let it pass you by. You are NOT too old. You are NOT too weak.
God is able to do ALL things through you. Am I wrong about that? God is all powerful. No more excuses.
Seek God and ask for strength...
Trust Him
Get out there and just do it.
You will be amazed by the results.

Dear Lord, thank you so much for today. Thank you for being so good to us. Thank you for your strength and thank you for our weakness. Thank you for showing just who you are through us at times. I pray that you would continue to work through me in all I do. I pray that I will continue to seek you and as I seek you I pray that I would trust in your power. I pray that I would have the faith to move mountains.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”