Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

October 18, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

October 18, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:48 pm

God's will.

I know I've written a little about this topic before, but it was on my heart last night for some reason so I thought I'd write a little more on it. Hopefully there wont be too much repeat in this.

I once read someone's profile on a site and one thing they said was that they feared they weren't living up to God's will. On the page it also mentioned that they might drink and swear too much. Not to be picky or sound judgmental but I can say with certainty that there are verses in the bible that speak against such things. Where am I going with that? or Why bring that up?
People have this idea that God's will for them only involves some HUGE plans for their life. What will I be when I grow up? That sort of thing. A phrase I used in other topics was "God's written will". God left us some guidelines by which to live. And one thing I cannot stress enough is that God is not likely to share His plans for your future, His will for your future, if you're not living up to His written will for your present. I am quite certain in this. Far more important than "am I in the right job right now" is whether or not you are living up to all God has called you to in His word. You want to know His will for your life? The bible and time in prayer is where you need to start. In fact, let's start there right now.
Dear Lord, I ask that you would guide me in this writing today. I pray that your will would be expressed clearly. I pray that all those that read this will turn to you and your word to research this themselves. I pray that you would bless each and every one of us as we seek to do your will.
Amen.

Now let's look at some scripture.
Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

This is obviously a good place to start. People are always looking for direction or uncertain where to go. God's word will always be there to bring light to the path upon which we tread. Quite often when we want some direction in life we say a quick prayer saying "God show me a sign of where you want me to go" or something along those lines. God has spelled out so much for us, we really need to start there.

Does God have a specific will for your future?
Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

This was to Jeremiah obviously, it wasn't written to ALL people. And, some people argue that things such as this occurred in the old testament but not so much after the new testament. Some go back and forth on the whole "predestination" discussion. I can't at this time take sides in such an argument. I believe that God knows all that will happen, but I'm not entirely convinced that He controls or manipulates all things. We have been told that we've been given free will. So many of us will do things that God doesn't approve of. Regardless on a person's views on predestination type stuff, I personally believe that you can be following God's will no matter what kind of job you are doing, no matter where you are. If you are following all that is written to you in the bible, and speaking with Him daily, and are open to correction and guidance from Him, then there's a good chance you will be following exactly what is in God's will for your life at that time. And while planning is Ok, I don't think it is wise to worry much about your future.

Not long ago I shared about the ten commandment for several weeks. This is a really good example of just a part of God's written will for you. Let's look at a passage that is another example of what God wills for your life.

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

This is Jesus speaking to everyone. "if any man......" and that includes you and I. Like the ten commandments and other verses in the bible, I personally believe that we will not be able to know and/or understand God's will for our future if we're not following His written will for our lives.

Does God have a future plan for us? Is there something specific God wants me to do with my life? And another HUGE question people ask is how to determine God's will...
John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Once again, I'm not going to tell you that God has some very specific plans that you're going to suffer for if you don't follow. But it is clear to some degree that God does have some plans for you. It's also clear that He can and will sometimes share those plans with you through the Spirit. Yet still people will ask how they can know the spirit is speaking to them. All I can say is that the only way you will ever hear from the spirit is if you are right with God and in my personal opinion, that means doing what I've already talked about.

Why listen to any of this? Many people have their own ideas of what they want to do or what God Might want them to do. Many of these people are not so quick to listen to outside advice. While considering God's will you must be open to outside advice. Feel free to compare such advice against scripture. But please remember this wise passage:
Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

There's much more a person could write on this subject. If you wish to read more, just do a search on the subject. You should be able to find some interesting things. I do hope this has all been understandable. My kids have distracted me and I've had to get up from this at least 10 times while writing it, so I've lost my train of thought once or twice.
I want to repeat one thought in closing...
Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

In all your searching for God's will for your life, I hope you can cling to this passage. God's word will always be there to guide you in all your searching.

Dear Lord, thank you for this day and all the blessings you have in store for tomorrow. Thank you so much for your written word. Thank you for leaving that with us so that we might know and understand you and your will for us. Thank you for taking the time to have a relationship with us. I pray that above all we will continually seek to do that which you have already instructed us to do. I pray that we would always use your word to seek your will for us.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”