Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

October 4, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

October 4, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Proverbs 10
1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.
3 The LORD will not suffer the soul of the righteous to famish: but he casteth away the substance of the wicked.
4 He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
6 Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.
10 He that winketh with the eye causeth sorrow: but a prating fool shall fall.
11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
13 In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.
14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
15 The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty.
16 The labour of the righteous tendeth to life: the fruit of the wicked to sin.
17 He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.
18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
21 The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.
22 The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.
24 The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.
25 As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.
26 As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him.
27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
28 The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish.
29 The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity.
30 The righteous shall never be removed: but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth.
31 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out.
32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.

I was struggling to find a topic to go over this week and came across a verse in proverbs 10 while searching. I ended up deciding just to write on proverbs 10. I love the book of proverbs as it is filled with much wisdom. So many things that apply directly to our lives and make perfect sense. Just read through this passage and you'll see what I mean. And while all of this seems to make sense, it is still wise to read through it and take note of what it says. The reason I say this is because none of us live perfect lives and we could all use some growing. Many things in this passage compare the good to the bad.
Solomon was a fairly wise man. He learned a lot from first hand knowledge. He lived a wealthy and reckless lifestyle for some time and later realized how meaningless it was. I pray that we too can see the mistakes we make in life and become wiser for it.
Let's take a look at a few things in here...

The very first verse is something that stands out to me. If you are a parent this should make perfect sense to you. When I was younger I know for a fact I caused a decent amount of stress on my mother. A wise child is something most parents are quite proud of. In the ten commandments it says to honor your mother and father. This passage is directed at young people I believe. It sure isn't directed at the parents. The commandment says to honor your mother and father so that you might live a long life. Basically, God is telling people to honor your parents for YOUR benefit. I've gone over that verse before but I can promise that honoring your parents is to your own benefit. You will be happier and chances are if you have children you will have an easier time raising your kids than if you were an unruly child. That's just how something like that is to YOUR benefit. But one thing most children don't think about is how their life and their actions affect their parents. Your parents love you very much and everything you do affects them.
7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
I believe this verse is speaking on how people remember us after we've passed on. I could be wrong on that but it's how I'm looking at it at the moment. It could also very much apply to your life now and how people remember who you are.
At any rate, the memory of the just is blessed. People that live good lives, don't gossip, love each other, help those in need, etc, those people will be remembered with fond memories for a long time. And when it comes to your life now, how people remember you is quite important. If you lead a good life people will remember you and possibly mention you to other people. This can be a good thing at times. But the name of the wicked... in death not many will remember you. Your name will fade out. In life your name can also rot in a sense. If you lead a life that isn't so good people will remember your name to some extent and can pass it along and suggest that others do not do business with you. Many business people out there do whatever it takes to make a dollar and in the process they can end up hurting their business. I've been to places that I sure would recommend people stay away from because of their practices and/or behavior. But this doesn't just apply to business. There are many ways in which your actions, personality, etc... can affect how those around you will remember you. Whether you want to think about your life now or how you will be remembered later, I think this is quite important to think about.

When I first started looking up passages I was leaning towards writing a study on gossip and slander. These are things that destroy.
11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

There are other verses in the bible that discuss this. Gossip and slander or any other word you want to use to describe such things, it really destroys and not just the person being attacked. Speaking ill of others can hurt other people and most definitely hurt you in how others see you.

There are many good points of discussion in this chapter but I don't want to go on too long here. I encourage you to read through it all and really think about it. Don't just think about how wise some of it is or how it makes sense, but really think about how some of this might apply to you. One more point I'd like to express from this passage...
17 He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.

God gives us many guidelines to live by in His word. You are wise to take what the bible says into consideration and really apply it to your life. When at church or even when advice is brought to you by a friend or family member, it is wise to take such things seriously. There are other verses in the bible that go over this as well but it says right here that he how refuseth reproof erreth. Other passages in the bible state that those who refuse correction are a fool. Do not ever let pride or anything else stand in your way of bettering yourself. If there's an area of your life that is lacking, stubbornness can really hurt you. We can't learn everything on our own. Sometimes we need a little advice/correction from someone. Sometimes I like to say if it ever feels like someone is stepping on your toes, perhaps they needed to be stepped on. :)

Dear Lord, thank you for today and all the blessing in it. Thank you for the freedom to go to church each week and thank you for all I can learn there. Thank you for putting people in my life that can lead and teach me. Thank you for your word and your wisdom. I pray that I might live a life that is pleasing to you. I also pray that this passage will be more than just a nice passage to read. I pray that all those that read it will take it to heart.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”