Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

August 9, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

August 9, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Matthew 22:36-40
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Exodus 20:14
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

This is another verse that I think should be easy to see how in following the words spoken by Jesus in Matthew, you would also follow the commandment in Exodus. Adultery in any form might seem fun... might seem harmless or you might be able to try and justify it... but it is an awful sin and hurts many. If you truly love God with all your heart, soul, and mind and can love your neighbor as yourself, you surely would avoid this sin. Unfortunately this sin as well as most sexual immorality is becoming more common on tv and more acceptable in real life.
This is another one of God's commandments where He truly knows what is best for us.

Last week I mentioned how the sin of murder could be expanded a little to include hateful thoughts. Well, Jesus expanded on this particular commandment as well.

Matthew 5:27-28
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Now let's look at how both the thoughts and the actual act can go against the commandments Jesus mentioned in Matthew.
Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind...
As I mentioned last week, God created us. Each one of us is very special to Him. So anything we do that might hurt someone else in turn hurts God. Whatever we do to the least of these........ God gave us some good examples of what love is and how we are to love each other. He gave examples of how we need to love one another in marriage and how we are to treat each other. When we commit adultery we are going against everything He has taught us on the subject of love.
With all that God has taught us on the subject of love and marriage it is easy to see how the act of adultery could be hurtful to God. We would not be loving Him with are whole heart, soul, and mind if we were to commit such an act. But more than that, even the lustful thoughts we have towards someone we should not is hurtful to God. It goes against what He has taught us. Such thoughts are quite dangerous and God wants to spare us from those dangers.

Love your neighbor as yourself...
Would you want your spouse cheating on you? Would you want them lusting after someone else? Chances are you would not appreciate it. When two people are joined together in marriage they are to become ONE. The importance of this unity goes way back to early Genesis and is mentioned throughout the bible. Wives are taught to submit to their husbands and men are called to love their wives as Christ loves the church. How much did Christ love the church? That's pretty powerful if you ask me. This relationship we call marriage is supposed to be pretty serious. The act of adultery can be quite devastating. It destroys character and can destroy a marriage. It should be pretty easy to imagine this. I think most Christians will agree that we aren't completely loving our spouse the way we should be if we go off and commit adultery.
Where there might be some disagreement is in the lustful thoughts. Some will say that we're all human, it's only natural to look at others. In my opinion, it is only natural in a fallen, sinful world. Lustful thoughts can consume and destroy and are just as dangerous as the act. Not only can they eventually lead to an act but they can also change a person's attitude and behavior. When you start looking at other people in such a way you will more than likely be less respectful towards your spouse. I can't imagine it would be possible to love your neighbor as yourself and continue to have lustful thoughts about other people. It can be quite damaging and God tells us we shouldn't think that way because He knows and wants what's best for us.
There's a verse somewhere in the bible that is similar to the quote I'm about to give but I don't recall where it is. This line is from a song by a Christian metal band called Tourniquet...
"sew a thought reap and action... sew an action reap a habit... sew a habit, reap a destiny..."
The bible tells us to take our thoughts captive. It tells us to think about things that are right and pure etc... what we think about can influence quite a bit of who we are and how we act. When you're thinking something lustful about someone else, where is your heart? It sure isn't on loving God or your spouse.

I hope these ramblings make some sense to you today. Our thoughts and actions have a huge impact on our own lives as well as the lives of others. If we can truly love God with all our hearts, soul, and mind and love our neighbors as ourselves then I think we would do pretty well to not commit adultery in any sense.

Father God, I thank you for today and all the blessings in it. Thank you for your word and thank you for caring so much for us. Thank you for always looking out for our best interests. I pray that you would help us to take our thoughts captive. I pray that you would help us to not sin against you or others by lusting after someone we shouldn't. I pray that you would help us stay away from all that adultery might mean to you. I pray that we would love you with are whole heart, soul, and mind and that we would truly love others as you love them. I pray that we would see how even our thoughts can destroy. Thank you for teaching us that we do have the power to overcome sin and take such thoughts captive. Thank you for your word that we might lean on it and use it.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”