Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

July 26, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

July 26, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Matthew 22:36-40
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Exodus 20:12
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

How does the passage in Matthew apply to this weeks commandment?
Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind... Well, God created us to reproduce, and He created us so that we care for our young. We have certain instincts and certain roles. It is how God intended things to be. God says in more places than just the ten commandments that we need to honor our parents. I think we need to honor God by following this. Also, following the very example He set for us. God is our Father. Like the ten commandments, He gives us all sorts of rules, guidelines, and examples to follow. His purpose in doing so is for our own good. He cares for us and He knows what is best for us WAY better than we know. When we stray from His word and do things that we want to do, things usually don't go so well. He truly knows what is best for us and wants us to be happy.
Parents are the same. Parents know a LOT more about life than children do. So, parents have all sorts of rules and stuff for children to follow. Sometimes those things don't seem fun, but parents usually have their children's best interest in mind.

Love your neighbor as yourself. If you are a child and you lack discipline or don't honor your parents there is a really good chance later on in life you will have children that are just as much trouble as you were and you will get quite frustrated with them wondering why they don't listen to you. After all, you know what's best for them. If you have children, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't have children, you will learn more about it if and when you have some of your own.
Our parents love us and they deserve our respect. Not just because the bible tells us so. But, it does and for good reason.
Love your neighbor as yourself... When you are not honoring your parents, you aren't loving them very well and are therefore not following that commandment that Jesus mentions in Matthew.
I could go on a bit more but I don't want to over-explain my thoughts. I hope all that makes sense so far.

Even though it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the passage in Matthew, I want to briefly mention the last part of this commandment. Honor your father and mother THAT THY DAYS MAY BE LONG UPON THE LAND WHICH THE LORD THEY GOD GIVETH THEE.
That's something of a promise if you ask me. I'm not exactly sure how directly this promise affects us. I don't know how long each person would or would not live depending on how they treated their parents. But I can promise you this... If you honor your mother and father you will live a better life than if you didn't. Your childhood will be easier and your adult life, bother personal and parenting, will be easier as well.
God gives us this guideline for very good reason because He loves us SO much. Let's return that love to Him by doing what is right.

Lord God, thank you for being my father and for caring for me so much. Thank you for being a good example of how a father should love their children and how children should listen and honor their parents. Thank you for your words and your commandments. Thank you for teaching us so much so that life would be easier on us. Thank you for always looking out for our best interests. I love you Lord.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”