Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

June 21, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

June 21, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

1 Corinthians 11:23-26
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Remember...
I have a bad memory myself. There's lots of day to day things that I forget every day. Why would something like this be different? Well, it isn't. I am sorry to admit, I don't always remember just how big of a sacrifice was made for me... for ME. I have been thinking about this at church quite a bit lately. The church I'm attending right now celebrates communion EVERY week. I've met people in the past that would say that is too much, that it becomes a ritual. I've been considering this lately. To me, it is a ritual, but it is not one I want to do without. For I NEED to be reminded of that precious gift.
Some would say that practicing such a ritual so often takes away from it's importance, or we might take it for granted.
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to take Christ's death for granted when I'm NOT thinking about it. And that happens too frequently. So this weekly reminder is just what I need. Means a lot to me.

At the time this meal occurred, I believe they were celebrating the passover feast. So, some might think we ought to remember this, or do this in remembrance, every time we celebrate passover. Well, for starters... most Christians don't celebrate Jewish feasts. So most of us don't do that.
I'm not going to sit here and tell people they should celebrate the last supper every week, but for me it is a blessing. It is something that we all need to remember every day.
And while I'm going on about this I'm going to share two reasons why we need to remember this.
The first has already been mentioned and is pretty obvious. We don't want to take our salvation for granted. Christ DIED for us... and it wasn't a simple painless death. He bore our sins, every sin we have and are yet to commit.
The wages of sin is death... we are all guilty and our crimes are punishable by death. Christ was humiliated, tormented, and killed so that we might be set free.
Next time you break bread I urge you to really dwell on that reality and how serious it is. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me it is easy to take it for granted. It's easy to say "yeah, Jesus died for me, thanks Lord..." and not be moved. We should be brought to tears by that experience. But for me, I need visual aids... I need a reminder, and that is just what communion is about. We have the symbols before us. Christ's body broken for us, and His blood shed for us. Even right now as I type this it is hard for me to feel as moved as I ought to. And that saddens me. I put those nails in his hands. I put him there on the cross. It was my guilt that put him there. That should bring me to tears every time I think about it. But, I don't always think about it.

The other reason why I personally feel communion, and the last supper, is so important... the other part of remembrance to me is to pass on that gift to others. Christ died for us, now let us live on in His example and die so the rest of the world might live. To clarify, we are to spread Christ's love and sacrifice to the world. That doesn't necessarily mean I need to go die... but, sacrifice is quite likely to be necessary. Jesus asks us to take up our cross DAILY. I don't know about you, but I think sometimes I leave my cross at home.
So for me, remembering the last supper, remembering Christ's sacrifice for ME is the best reminder I can get to share that love with the rest of the world. To be reminded to take up my cross and follow after Him. I must GO and SERVE.

All those thoughts might seem a bit random. I can never tell as I type them. I can only tell how what I am thinking affects me. I do hope that this passage and some of these words will impact your life today. I hope that you will take time to remember just how powerful and how sacrificial that gift really was.

Dear Lord, thank you for today. I thank you for all that you have done for me. I ask that you would help me to always remember this precious gift you have given me. Thank you for sending your Son to die for my sins. Thank you for paying that price so that I might live with you. And as I remember these things Lord, help me to see those in need around me. Help me to go and serve where you want me to. Help me to share your sacrifice with all I meet.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”