Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

June 7, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

June 7, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Luke 5:1-11
1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,
2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

Picture if you can that you were there... that you were on this boat. You worked hard trying to catch fish ALL night long. You didn't catch a thing. The next morning you are standing in the water, cleaning off your nets.
The next thing you know, Jesus is there. He climbs into your boat and teaches the people. After they leave Jesus turns to you and asks for you to take him out into the water.
Now, you and I, knowing what we know about Jesus, we'd be amazed and trust Him right away. But, back then... different story. This guy who is asking you, you're not so sure about Him. You do not know for sure who He is. You know a little, but how much. So, you have doubt. You think to yourself... "what, He wants me to go out fishing some more after not catching ANYTHING last night...." But to please the man you agree.
So you go out and cast down your nets. Just imagine that if you can. You cast out your nets and let them sit there a while... however that sort of fishing works. Then you start to pull the nets in, fairly sure that you wont be pulling anything in. Imagine the amazement when, not only have you caught something but you're pulling in SO many fish that not only do the nets start to break... and not only is there so much fish that your boat starts to sink... but BOTH boats start to sink from the weight of those fish... Now that is a LOT of fish.
Think about it. You "knew" how things would turn out. Jesus calls you to catch some fish and you're certain you wont catch any. What does He do? He not only allows you to catch something, but something far greater than you'd ever caught before.

In this story, Jesus did this to show these men who He was, that they might follow Him. There's a lot of lessons that could be learned here. Jesus told them that from then on they would be catching men instead of fish. And, without hesitation they left all they had to follow Him.
Has God blown us out of the water like that? Has He shown us such a catch that we would really leave EVERYTHING behind to follow Him? I mean, would you leave your job, your home, your family, everything to follow Him?
That's a hard question isn't it?
And, back to the other question... Has God shown you such an amazing thing? Has He proven who He is to you in such a magnificent way?
I'm not sure if He has in your life or not... If He has not yet done so, I have an idea as to why.
God is standing in your boat right now and He is asking you to take Him out fishing. Basically, God is calling you to trust Him right now. He has some plans in store for you. And, what He is calling you to... well, it might seem impossible. There's no way I'm good enough to.......... There's no way I could ever........
Ever think that way? If you feel God calling you to something, no matter how impossible it seems... I ask you, humor Him. Give it a try. Go out on the water and cast out your nets. What have you to lose?
It doesn't matter where you are in life. Doesn't matter how old you are, how rich or poor you are, how strong or weak you are, how talented you are, what line of work you do... none of that matters. What matters is that Jesus is standing there and He is asking you to trust Him. He is calling you to be His disciples.
Will you trust Him? Will you go out and cast out your nets no matter how impossible the chances seem?
I tell you the truth... He can do amazing things for and through ANY person. However, He is calling you to trust Him.
As I said, there's a lot to learn from this story but I'll leave it at that for now. Read through the passages and the thoughts I propose after it. Read it, study it, meditate and pray on it... come to your own conclusion. Jesus is calling you to be His disciples. What is it going to take for you to become one?
My pastor preached on this passage this morning and it was interesting to me. I think many of us feel we know for sure what we are and aren't capable of. We lack faith and trust even in Him.
God is calling... will we answer?

Father God I thank you for today and I thank you for your written word. I thank you for all the ways in which you have taught us. I thank you for the stories in the Bible and how they apply to my own life. I thank you for calling me to be your disciple. Lord, help me to trust in you. Help me to see past my shortcomings. Help me to have faith. Lord I want to be a fisher of men. I want to bring people to you. Call me Lord and guide me as I answer.
Amen.

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”