II Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
God calls us to be new. If we are in Christ, then we are new.
As humans, we are far from perfect. We often hold onto things which God calls us to let go of, and stay away from. Many Christians find it hard to NOT be a part of this world. But we are called to not be of this world. When we become new, the old is gone and should be. We cannot serve two masters, God and the world.
1 Corinthians 5:7
Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
- be a new lump today ;D
1 Corinthians 5:11
But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
- There are those that will say that even Jesus hung around with some bad people. Indeed He did, but why? He came to call them unto Him. He witnessed to them. He changed their lives. Many that heard became new and followed after Him. We are indeed to go out into the world and call sinners unto the Lord. We are not, however, to just go hang around with such people as are mentioned in the above verse.
I know a man that has a band... was a Christian band when I saw him last. Last I heard, he was the only Christian in the band. He still writes Good songs and tries to witness to people. Last I heard he only plays in ungodly places. That may indeed be a good place to play and witness to people, but it is a dangerous thing. The last phone conversation I had with him, he swore once or twice. Something he would not have done years ago. To many Christians these days, this is not a bad thing. And to some, the message of Christ is the only important thing.
My friends I tell you today, while the message of Christ is VERY important, God calls us to be new. He calls us to be holy. Be careful with whom you associate daily. It has more of an impact on your life than you might be aware of. It is like playing with fire and expecting to Never get burnt.
1 John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
- The things the world love are meaningless and will pass. They are vanity. Those who love the world and the things of the world will always find themselves wanting. But those who love the Lord will ever be full.
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
- This is a bit strong perhaps, but it is obviously a message that God wants us to hear and understand. As I mentioned earlier, we cannot server two masters.
remember the rich man that wanted to follow Jesus? Jesus told him he had to sell EVERYTHING he had and give to the poor. That man just could not let go of his worldly wealth.
It is impossible to be a friend of God while you are in love with the world.
1 John 3:1
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the WORLD knoweth us NOT, because it knew him NOT.
- In being of God, the world will not know us. Just as the world will turn God away, so to will they turn you away.
Some of Jesus' disciples were beaten for their beliefs, and they praised God for that. The world will not understand us, and even hate us. We should count these moments as joy. For we are called to be of God and not of this world.
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
- Take comfort in knowing that the world may hate you, but it is because God has chosen you. Many hated the Lord, yet He still came to save us. He lived and died for us. I think we can tolerate a little hatred in order to live our lives for Him.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- "that ye may prove....." I don't believe we can be a very affective witness when we are conformed to this world.
Be holy as the Lord is Holy. Do what is right and flee from that which is evil. Conform yourself to the will of God and not to this world.
Be new today.
- Lord I pray today that you would give us the strength to do your perfect and Holy will. Turn our eyes from the desires of the flesh and of the world, and guide us upon the path of righteousness.
Create in my a clean heart oh God, and renew a right spirit within me.
I choose to cast aside my old self and to daily take up my cross and follow after you.
Make me new Lord.
A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
1 post • Page 1 of 1