Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

May 17, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

May 17, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun May 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

I really just wanted to go over the first three verses here but since it's such a short passage I figured it wouldn't hurt to put the whole chapter here. I hope you'll read through it.
Verse 1 says God is our refuge and strength. How many times does God promise such things to us? I sure don't know the number, but it is mentioned often enough that we know God is there for us. We know that God is watching over us even when times are tough.
In this passage, the writer starts with that fact. That one sentence sort of sets the theme for the entire passage if you ask me. He started with a fact and then goes on to explain to what extent that statement is true. God is our refuge and strength and a present help in trouble. He is those things SO much that we do not have to fear. We do not have to fear even if..... you name it. This writer mentions a few scenarios.
The earth is removed... or, the mountains crash into the sea... the waters roar or the mountains shake...
These are a few pretty powerful things if you ask me. I'd sure be scared if any of this happened before my eyes. and yet... We don't need to fear, because we know that God is our refuge.
Another verse states that God has not given us a spirit of fear. Of course He didn't. What use would that be to us, to be fearful? God wants us to trust Him. He doesn't want us to be afraid, and He wants us to know that we do not need to be afraid. I find this all pretty amazing. God is great. I just wish I had the faith to never fear.
While reading this passage the song Stand By Me came to mind. In that song it mentions the mountains tumbling to the sea. And it mentions that they wont cry, or be afraid, as long as "you" (whomever they're singing to) stands by them.
I'm not sure who that song was written to or about. But I do know one thing is for sure. There is no earthly being that can instill as much calm and security as God can. Those lines in that song... That song also mentions some pretty scary things, and the singer says he'll be just fine as long as you stand by me.
The truth is that we can all get through things and live without fear as long as God stands near us, and we near Him.
If you want to live a life of peace and a life free of fear, then make sure that you are walking close to Him.

Dear Lord, thank you for being my refuge, my strength, and my help in times of trouble. Lord help me to put my faith and trust in you. Though others fail, you alone are completely worthy of trust. You are true to your word. Thank you for watching over us in our times of need. Thank you for looking out for us as a parent would a child. Thank you for wanting us to live a life free from fear. Thank you for offering that peace and security.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”