Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

April 19, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

April 19, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Matthew 18:21-35
21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

One of the great things about parables is that a lesson is taught in a relatively easy to understand way. A story is told that illustrates a point. I love that method of teaching. Anyway, this passage here really speaks for itself. As you read through this story, keep in mind that we are the ones who owe the 10,000 talents.
Seriously... think about all we owe God. We owe Him everything. Our debt was far too big for us to carry.
Romans 6:23 says that the wages of sin is death.
We are all guilty... The penalty for our sins is death. And it's not something we are able to pay on our own. We could never pay for all we've done. Our debt is just too BIG.
Jesus died to take away that debt. That HUGE debt we owed. It was paid in full. Did we deserve that? Not really. But, God loves us that much, that he would forgive us... we have been pardoned.

Now the guy in the story... now that he has been set free from his debt, he goes out and finds someone that owes just a little. And how did he handle that situation? He cast the man into prison. I mean, the guy owed him after all... why shouldn't he seek justice right?
The truth is, we are very much like this first man. When someone offends us, we quite often hold it against them. We sometimes even want people to pay. Sometimes, depending on who it was and what they did..., we might still hold onto their offense even after they have begged for forgiveness.
In all honesty, what could any man do to us that would compare to the offenses we have committed against God? The debt that God erased for us was far bigger than anything anyone here could owe us. And besides that, the price with which He paid to cover our debts... it's nothing we would have to pay for anyone. That price has been paid for all. The forgiveness we now have to offer others is far less painful than what Christ went through. And yet, it's still quite difficult for us sometimes.
Friends... Christ has cleared us... we're guilty no more... we don't owe a thing, our debt has been paid. what we owed was our life. We owed far more than any man could ever owe us... and yet, just like that, that debt was removed for us.
The truth is, we should be so filled with love and joy at the freedom and forgiveness that was given unto us, that we would want to share that with others around us. And yet somehow, we sometimes hold onto some pretty petty things.
I urge you all to read through this passage and think on it, and pray on it. Think about all those that have offended you. Think about anyone you might hold a grudge against. Think of all those that have hurt you and owe you... and just turn it all over to Christ. For He paid for their debts as well.
This passage ends with a bit of a warning.
"And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses"

Father, thank you for forgiveness. Thank you for paying our debts for us. Thank you for offering forgiveness even though we don't deserve it. Lord I ask that you would help us to remember the debts you removed from us when we start to focus on what others owe us. I pray that we would be able to look past their offense so that we might see them as you do and forgive them.
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”