Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

March 8, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

March 8, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm

John 4:7-15
7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

Jeremiah 2:13
13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

I wish you all could have been with me in Sunday school today, watching the video I did. I can't describe it as well as I'd like. But, they talked about living water. Living water wasn't just used to describe what God has to offer us. Where many stories in the bible occurred, the wilderness they often spoke of was mostly desert.
Out in these wildernesses, they often had fortresses and societies and such, up in the hills. This was a very dry environment, and they built some pretty impressive watering systems... some even had pools and such. But this water they had, was very stagnant... It just sat there. It wasn't fresh.
Now, every once in a while you might find an oasis. A spring... water, pure clean water just pouring out of the dry rocky ground.
From this water sprang much life.
Now, imagine you are out in this dry miserable wilderness, and you come across this living water. Would you leave it? Would you go back out into the desert and not return?
At the end of the story, some people were asking questions. One of the tourist type people on the video said that it was interesting, they weren't very far from the dead sea. From a ways off, the dead sea looks quite inviting. But the truth is, you sure couldn't drink from that.
It was kind of a good analogy... there's much in this world that looks great... looks fulfilling. But, it can't satisfy... and it will leave you VERY thirsty.
Are you wondering in the desert, searching for something to quench your thirst only to settle on things of this world? Drink of the Lord and never thirst again.
And beyond that... verse 14 says that whoever drinks will have a well of water springing up...
Hey, there's many people out there wondering around the desert with no hope of finding this living water. You've seen them, haven't you? I know you have. They're all around us every day.
Do you want those people to find that living water? Do you want them to thirst no more?
If you'd like to share that living water with them, you need to make sure you have that living water springing up from within you.
I'll tell you... sometimes I'm thirsty. Know why? Because I need to turn back to that living well, Jesus. Sometimes I am out in the wilderness, lost, confused, and thirsty. And sometimes, I might look at something like the dead sea and think that it might satisfy me. Man, that wondering in the desert can mess you up sometimes.
If you find yourself thirsting... or if you find yourself trying to satisfy your thirst in the wrong places, turn back to Jesus... turn back to the living water He offers you. Drink, and thirst no more.

Dear Lord, I thank you once again for this day. I thank you for the living waters we have here on earth, that quench our thirst and bring forth life. I thank you for the living water that only you can offer. I thank you for simply offering it to us. Lord, I want to thirst no more...
Amen

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”