Welcome to Backyard Fellowship...
Please take a moment and register >>HERE<<
We look forward to meeting you... :)

February 22, 2009

A new subject or passage each week for all to discuss.
millipede
Mr. Normal
United States of America

February 22, 2009

Postby millipede » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Fellowship

We'll take a look at a few different passages today to look at just how important fellowship is to us.

Ecclesiastes 4:8-12
8 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.
9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

This passage right here is one of my favorites when it comes to fellowship. It is quite easy to see how hard life can be when we are alone. Most ropes you will see are made up of several strands. If it was just one solid strand, even that same thickness as the three strand cord, it would not be as strong. The same is true of us. By ourselves we are weak. We need to stand together so we can be strong.

John 13:34
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Love... mentioned SO often in the bible. We are to love each other just as HE loves us. God loved us SO much that He sent His Son to die for us, so that we could spend eternity with Him. Now, loving as much as Christ loves us may seem like a tall order... but we should at least consider just how important fellowship with each other should be.

Galatians 6:2
2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

We all struggle in life sometimes... and there are times when people just can't make it alone. I don't think any of us can handle all of life's challenges alone.

Collosians 2:2
2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ

The NIV translation says:
and united in
love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in
order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Interesting... another really good reason for fellowship; understanding. That's right. It would be foolish to think that any one of us could understand everything in the bible on our own. Sometimes we disagree and it can create conflict. But, if we can put that aside we can use our differences to grow one another. Such growth cannot occur without fellowship with other believers.

Hebrews 10:24-25
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

James 5:16
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Confess your faults or sins to one another? Yep. Why? Well, it isn't an easy thing to do I can tell you that. But there's power in sharing your faults with another. Yes, power. Many people can't get past their faults or sins and one reason is because they can't admit them. You need to admit them to yourself, and then to others. In doing so, you fully acknowledge the need for change and you bring someone else in to help keep you accountable.
And prayer, for one another... this is quite important. It says in this verse that you pray for one another, so that you can be healed. Almost sounds to me that we cannot be healed without the prayers of another. There's another verse that many know that states where two ore more are gathered together..... you know how it goes. We need each other, even in prayer.

1 Peter 2:17
17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

1 John 1:3
3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ!
wow... when we fellowship with each other, we're having fellowship with God, and Jesus? I sure think so. As mentioned before, there's that verse that says when two or more are gathered together... He is there.
Jesus has told people that whatever you do for the least of these you've done it unto Him.

1 John 1:7
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

There's lots of good verses in there that talk about fellowship and how important it is. And while reading through some of these verses I want you to really think about what fellowship is. Quite often, we sure hang out with other Christians a lot. We go to social events and such. But are we really in fellowship?
Think about what it means to be in fellowship with each other, and think about all the benefits. I urge us all to spend more time with each other, showing each other love. Lift each other up. God will truly bless you through such fellowship, I promise you that.

Father God I thank you for this day. I thank you so much for all the brothers and sisters you have put in my life. I thank you for all the times they have lifted me up and supported me. I pray that I might do the same for them. I pray that we would all be unified and stand strong together. When we are together, if one falls there are others to pick him up. I pray that we would do our best to not stand alone for if we fall alone we will have nobody to lift us up. I pray that we will seek each other out and that we would humble ourselves and simply love each other.
Amen...

Was This Topic Useful?

Return to “Weekly Study...”